Magload Nexus Modular Self Adjusting Shotgun Cartridge System
There were several articles about special rigs for Load-2 and Load-4 loading:
And now I am happy to review one more rig for Load-2 and Load-4, this time from Magload. This company has a lot of interesting and high-quality products.
For more than 3 months, I have tested this rig during cold and rainy weather conditions and it has worked great! I have tested it for both strong and weak hand loading. It holds shotshells reliably, but you can easily grab them too. There are also interesting add-ons available, such as double magnet GRIP tops and spring spacers which are used for adding more spring tension. The rig still works perfectly fine without these add-ons, but it is good to know that you can make a custom order for additional features if you want them.
First Impressions and Assembly
The Magload Nexus rig comes disassembled and nicely packed in a small black box. That reduces the shipping cost and it means that it cannot be damaged during transportation. This is a very good idea because the rig is so easy to assemble due to its simplistic design.
The entire assembly process takes just 15 minutes to read the instructions and assemble everything carefully.
The Magload Nexus Modular Self Adjusting Shotgun Cartridge System is basically a caddy or holder for shotgun shotshells. It is a versatile shotgun loading system which enables you to set it for left or right-handed loading. You just need to set up the loader to accommodate whichever hand you use for loading. Once it is set up and assembled, you won’t ever need to make any adjustments. But if you ever want to switch the setup between left-handed and right-handed, all you need is an Allen wrench and 10 minutes of your time. That will save you a lot of money because there are many shooters who change the way they load a shotgun and end up needing to buy one more rig!
Christopher Constantine is the author of this rig and he was really helpful and told me a lot of interesting technical details of the Magload Nexus.
If you like to shoot in 3-Gun or IPSC (practical shooting) competitions, this Nexus loading system will be a helpful accessory for you to have. The rig features a high-quality stainless-steel backplate, lightweight polymer bases/tops, and stainless-steel bolts. It holds shotshells that are between 51mm and 67.5mm in length. This allows you to hold virtually any shotgun cartridge that you want, such as slugs, birdshot, and buckshot.
The stainless-steel backplate is rock solid but it is heavier than aluminum backing plates on other rigs.
Magload – Magnetic Load – Self Adjusting System
The Nexus loader is “self-adjusting” which means you can store different cartridge sizes without needing to be manually adjusted. Since it has a special design, the user can choose between quad loading and twin loading. This type of loader is in demand by people who like to have this option. Sometimes you don’t need 4 shotshells, just 2, and this feature will be really helpful with that.
There are several basic versions of the Nexus loader. One version can hold 12 rounds, the other can hold 20 rounds and the other one 28 rounds. If you want extra features, you can choose to have a custom version made for you too. A customized version can hold a specific number of rounds that you wish it to hold. Just contact Magload and give them your specifications for a custom version. They will let you know whether it’s possible to do for you.
– A self-adjusting system which enables you to use rounds of different lengths.
– A Lifetime Warranty is given. Yes, I know that many other manufacturers send spare parts for free but Magload offers an official lifetime warranty.
– Can be adjusted for left or right-hand loading in just 10 minutes. This is a unique feature which I really like.
– Another big advantage of the Magload rig is that it is very easy to grab shotshells. The lightest grab and you have your shotshells in your hand. But if you want, you can install the add-ons like magnet GRIP tops and spring spacers for more spring tension.
Here is rig with one GRIP top and spring spacer installed:
Magload Nexus uses specially selected polymer which is really strong. All thread inserts are brass so they do not gall and bond to the screws. This makes the thread stronger and capable of being repeatedly dismantled and reassembled. Similar metals, such as stainless bolts on stainless nuts, will gall and seize over time.
Additional Information from Manufacturer
• The special geometry provides most of the holding power with the magnet only really serving to index the top cartridge and aid in filling the loader.
• They are designed for rugged use and will take quite a lot of abuse. The thread at the rear is metal so it can be dismantled and reassembled many times with ease.
• Magnet is press fit – no adhesive. Should it ever need to be replaced this can easily be done at the factory. This also means there is no glue to crack or fail in extreme conditions. The press fit is precision reamed to within 0.005mm! This also means that with heat expansion and contraction of the loader the magnets will not fall out.
• Inside of top has a designed-in roughness to aid in gripping cartridges when provided with upward pressure from the lower module.
• All together they provide and extremely light release with very high retention
• Excellent thumb access to the cartridge rim and very ergonomic
• Have special geometry inside to reduce friction and do not require lubricating. If the customer chooses to lubricate them then special oil channels inside the bushing will retain oil and dispense as needed, allowing excess to run out
• Are open at the top and bottom. We experimented with a sealed system but found that mud and sand can build up inside causing jams and premature wear. They are designed so such detritus will fall straight through and the loader will carry on working.
Springs & Runners
• Specially designed runners hold the base module straight and prevent rotation. Some movement side to side is allowed so that cartridges will self align when loaded. Marine grade stainless steel and straightened at the factory for peak performance.
• Runners hold the single bolt which assembled the entire lower module.
• Springs are stainless, corrosion resistant and are a particular grade of spring wire & geometry to ensure long life and minimal “set”.
• The bases may take a lot of force so they are very strong
• They have a brass thread insert again
• The cup/cone style of bottom case retention is designed to work like a ball and socket joint with the crimp of the cartridge. They allow for even very deformed cartridge crimps to sit in the proper position for function and allow the bottom cartridge to index on the top for no buckle. They provide superior retention while allowing for a true multi angle grab.
• They have a hole in the base which allows for custom add ons such as 20g adapters.
The cost of the Nexus loader depends on which version you are purchasing. If you are purchasing the one that holds 12 rounds, the cost will be £130. If you’d rather purchase the loader with a 28-round capacity, that will cost you £310. The choice you make should depend on the competitions you are going to visit. If you’re 3-Gun shooter, then the 12-round version is fine. But if you’re a IPSC shooter then you might as well go all the way and purchase the 28-round version which will be enough for long stages.
It is a highly recommended rig which is very easy to use. It enables you to have the lightest grab possible and it can be set either for weak or strong handloading.
Also, you can place a custom order for loaders of any color. This is a very nice option for competitive shooters who like to have bright colors on their equipment and guns.
Other Products by Magload
Be sure to visit Magload site to see many other interesting products they have:
Benelli Supernova Short Action Bars, Option 3 Loader and other.