The Remington 870 is easy to disassemble and reassemble; you will only need these instructions the first few times. With enough practice, you will be able to disassemble and reassemble your shotgun with your eyes closed.
I plan to record a video showing Remington 870 Disassembly and Reassembly but now I want to share instruction with photos on how to disassemble and reassemble Remington 870 shotgun.
Never forget about the safety rules when disassembling shotgun. There are known cases when carelessness during disassemble of a gun was cause of a dangerous accidents.
WARNING! Check the ejection port, chamber and magazine tube to make sure that there are no shells in the shotgun.
Remington 870 Disassembly
1. Engage the safety.
2. Push the action bar lock upward and pull the forend back to open the action.
Slide the forend back approximately halfway.
3. Unscrew and remove the magazine cap (magazine extension).
If you have a magazine cap, spring is held in place by a magazine spring retainer, if you have a magazine extension, spring is held by extension itself and will fly away when extension is removed, be careful to hold the magazine extension firmly and decompress magazine spring slowly. Attention! Magazine spring is under pressure, wear eye protection.
4. Take out the magazine spring and follower.
5. Pull the barrel from the receiver.
6. Compress and hold the left shell latch.
7. Slide the forend forward and off the magazine tube. Hold the bolt and the bolt carrier because they will fall off from the action bars.
8. Take out the bolt and bolt carrier from the rear of the action bars.
9. This step is for the Remington 870 which doesn’t have magazine extension and spring is kept in place by the magazine spring retainer.
Attention! Magazine spring is under pressure, wear eye protection.
Insert a flat head screwdriver into the slot in the magazine spring retainer. Push the magazine spring retainer into the magazine tube and rotate it. This will allow you to take it out.
10. Push out and remove two pins from the receiver.
11. Take out the trigger group. If you have pistol grip stock you may experience a problem removing the trigger group from the receiver. There is no need to remove the stock, there is a simple solution, just push the carrier forward to the magazine tube and then pull out the trigger group.
Remington 870 Reassembly
Reassembly is simple, just reverse the process.
1. Put the bolt assembly in; set it on top of the notches on the action bar assembly.
2. Slide the action bar assembly onto the magazine tube. Line it up with receiver.
3. Push the left cartridge stop and slide action bar assembly into the receiver.
4. Push the action bar lock upward and pull the forend back to open the action.
5. Insert trigger group assembly into receiver.
6. Align trigger group with the holes in receiver, insert pins and push them in.
7. Slide the forend forward approximately halfway.
8. Put the barrel on.
9. Put the follower and spring into magazine tube.
10. This step is for the Remington 870 which doesn’t have magazine extension and spring is kept in place by the magazine spring retainer.
Install a magazine spring retainer. Insert a flat head screwdriver into the slot in the magazine spring retainer. Push the magazine spring retainer into the magazine tube and rotate it.
Rem870.com, Copyright 2009-2020. All Rights Reserved. Amazon Associates disclosure: Rem870.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Author's books on Amazon.
Sign up to the Newsletter and get "10 Tips to Building a Tactical Remington 870" ebook: