Remington 870 Safety, Wilson Combat (Scattergun Technologies), S&J Hardware, Vang Comp Systems
A lot of shotgun owners prefer to replace the standard factory Remington 870 safety because it is rather small and in a stress (combat, self-defense) situation it maybe difficult to quickly disengage it. Some people like it as it is.
This is updated post about Remington 870 safety and alternatives. I have tested most of the Remington safety buttons available on the market and want to share my experience with you.
Factory Remington 870 Safety
Standard Remington 870 safety which works properly but too small to be quickly disengaged in stress (combat, self-defense, sport) situations. This safety button has a red stripe which is visible when safety is disengaged.
Wilson Combat (Scattergun Technologies) Jumbo Head Safety
Very good safety button for Remington 870. Works great and can be easily disengaged. It doesn’t stick out much and big enough to be quickly disengaged. The quality of this safety button is very good.
This is the only one oversized safety which can be used with Knoxx recoil reducing stocks.
|Get Scattergun Wilson Safety for Remington 870 on Brownells|
Vang Oversized Safety
Vang Comp Systems is a good safety and I have heard positive feedback about it from many shooters.
There are two issues which can stop you from buying this safety button:
1. Sticks out too far.
3. Cannot be installed with Knoxx recoil reducing stocks.
Other than that, it is good and tested by many Remington 870 owners.
S&J Hardware Jumbo Safety
This safety is great, it is big and rounded. It doesn’t stick out much and it is very comfortable to quickly disengage it.
This one of the best aftermarket oversized safety buttons for Remington 870.
In my opinion the best choice for a recoil reducing stock is Wilson Combat (Scattergun Technologies) safety.
The best choice for a standard stock is S&J Hardware safety. If it is comfortable for you to use long Vang Comp Systems oversized safety you can get it too.
How to Change a Safety on a Remington 870 Shotgun:
Warning: Make sure that shotgun is unloaded and safety is engaged.
1. First of all you need to disassemble your shotgun and take out the trigger plate assembly.
2. Place a finger over the safety detent spring hole and push the safety detent reataining pin out.
IMPORTANT: The detent spring is under pressure and it may jump out of the hole if you will not place your finger over the detent channel.
3. Carefully allow safety detent spring and ball to drop from safety detent channel.
4. Remove the old safety button and insert the new safety from the right side.
5. Reinstall the safety detent ball and spring, depress the safety detent spring into safety detent channel and replace the retaining pin with the pointed end first.
6. Test new safety.
7. Reinstall the Trigger Group Assembly.
Remington 870 Safety Replacement