Magazine Extensions for Remington 870 Shotgun (Nordic Components, Choate, TacStar, Remington, ATI)
This is new version of the review of Magazine Extensions for Remignton 870 shotgun. This time I added new information about the extensions I reviewed earlier and review about the new one.
Magazine extension is one of the first upgrades shotgun owners usually buy and install. This is understandable because shotguns have very limited number of rounds. There are a lot of different magazine extensions available on the market.
You will see advantages and disadvantages of each of the extensions. But first, here is rating of the magazine extensions (based on my humble opinion).
Rating of the magazine extensions:
1. Nordic Components
Nordic Components Magazine Extension for the Remington 870
I have put Nordic Components extension on the first place for a number of reasons. And this is the best magazine extension I have ever seen.
Extension (consists of 3 parts)
First of all it is made of aluminium. Second advantage is that it consists of 3 parts (tube, tube cap, tube nut). This extension comes with high-quality spring with black coating. And the best thing – a lot of shooters use these extensions and have no problems with them.
Now let’s have a closer look at all advantages Nordic Components extension gives to a shooter…
This extension is lightweight. If you compare it to other ones you will see a great difference in weight. Remington 870 is a heavy shotgun and is nice to have such lightweight extension.
It consists of 3 parts: tube, tube end cap, tube nut. This allows you to have one +5 tube for competitions and one +3 tube for home-defense. +5 tube allows to have more rounds but it sticks out too much, it is much better to have a shorter tube for use in close quarters.
Also, after installation, you can take out the end cap and look inside your magazine tube to check if everything is ok.
The spring is fantastic. This is the best spring for a magazine extension you can find. I have seen many of them, the best one is from Nordic Components, the worst one is made by Choate.
I have also teste the follower from Nordic Components and it works great.
The price of this magazine extension tube is about $80.
|Get Nordic Magazine Extension for Remington 870 on Brownells|
Remington Magazine Extension for the Remington 870
Original Remington extension is on the 2nd place. It is good extension but it has a lot of differences. Bundle:
Clamp (without swivel)
Mounting screw for clamp
1. Remington magazine extension is a little longer than the other ones. There are many theories about the purpose of this nose cap in the end of the tube, but the truth is that it allows attaching a bayonet (for example, M7 bayonet).
If you want to add a bayonet to your shotgun you will need an additional bayonet adapter. For example, the one from S&J Hardware, the price is about $80-100. Original military U.S.M.C. M870 MK1 Bayonet Adapter/Magazine Bracket (which is no longer manufactured) is difficult to find and will cost you about $250.
2. This extension has a groove around it that provides an interlock for the mounting screw of the barrel clamp. It positions the clamp on the extension and locks it in position. This is one of the advantages of the Remington extension because clamp can’t move under recoil. Some of the shooters say that other barrel clamps are not as reliable as the one by Remington.
ATTENTION: This groove may cause a follower from the Vang Comp Systems to stick inside the magazine tube.
3. Extension consists of two parts. This allows smooth feeding. Some other extensions (TacStar and Choate) are made from solid tube and have small “step” inside tube which can cause jamming of the spring or follower to malfunction. This extension is the most expensive one; the price is about $100-120
|Get Remington 870 Magazine Extension on Brownells|
TacStar Magazine Extension for the Remignton 870
This extension is on the 3rd place because there are a lot of happy customers which recommend it.
This is one of the most popular magazine extensions for Remington 870 shotgun. You can select polished blued or matte parkerized variant. The tube is made of solid piece of metal. Some of the users of this magazine extension say that parkerized coating was not very durable. Other that that it works perfectly and does not need any modifications.
The of this extension is about $50-60
|Get TacStar Magazine Extension on Brownells|
Choate Magazine Extension for the Remington 870 Shotgun
Choate extension is on the 4th place due to numerous problems with feeding and installation. Bundle:
Clamp (with swivel)
Mounting screw for clamp
Orange follower with tail
This is one-piece extension made of metal. It is available in polished blue or matte blue finish. There are several known problems with Choate magazine extension:
1. Spring needs to be cut to proper length.
2. Follower is too big and diameter need to be reduced to slide freely in the magazine tube.
3. It is difficult to thread it fully on to the existing magazine tube. Fits very very tight.
4. Problems with feeding, follower sticks. Can be fixed by polishing the inside of an extension tube. It looks like this extension was stamped and not made of solid piece of metal.
The price is about $40-50
|Get Choate Magazine Extension for Remington 870 on Brownells|
There are several other extensions available on the market today, I will add information about them when I have a chance to test them. Please leave a comment if you have any experience with magazine extensions for Remington 870 shotgun.
Please Donate, Show Your Support!
All blog comments are moderated. When you have your first message approved, all other comments will be posted without moderation.
Messages are moderated one time a day. If you don't see your message then it is awaiting moderation.