My #00 load

Shotgun Ammunition Reloading.
Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

My #00 load

Post by Kentactic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:06 pm

So i finally cast some pellets and loaded some #00 rounds. I shot it earlier today and holy crap it was amazing. Patterned at 25 yards around 20'' nice evenly spaced pattern out of my 18.5'' cylinder bore. Not too tight that your ruining a shotguns purpose, but tight enough that you can still get a decent range out of it. The recoil was very mild (not that heavy recoil is a big deal). The powder i used was slow burning so it really pushes the pellets out rather then slams. This greatly helps the pellets stay in a nice round shape with minimal deforming. So below is the load info if anyones interested. Use at your own risk. But it is a load directly out of a book. Only things i changed was the wad to a tad taller one to suit my higher powder capacity Hull.

26.0 Grains of Herco
209A Primer
Claybuster 12SO wad
(9) .33 Lead Pellets (i added some tin solder to harden them a bit)
Federal 16mm 2.75'' Clear Hull
8 Star crimp
Velocity 1,250 Ft/s

Last edited by Kentactic on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: My #00 load

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:56 pm

That sounds like a nice load. 1250 FPS seems like it would balance energy well with lower recoil and shot deformation; striking a middle ground between the common velocities of 1150 FPS for low-recoil loads and 1325 FPS for the high-velocity stuff.

Did you try adding any buffering to see if that would change the spread?

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Synchronizor wrote:That sounds like a nice load. 1250 FPS seems like it would balance energy well with lower recoil and shot deformation; striking a middle ground between the common velocities of 1150 FPS for low-recoil loads and 1325 FPS for the high-velocity stuff.

Did you try adding any buffering to see if that would change the spread?
I havent but personally i dont think id want the pattern much tighter. I dont want to lose the benefits of a scattergun but i like it somewhat tight so at greater distances i can still get a few pellets on target if i need to. I guess its just the slow burning powder but this load has less felt recoil then the Winchester Ranger low-recoil i usually shoot. And thats 1175 ft/s.
Last edited by Kentactic on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Nice! As soon as i get some time off work, you've given me the incentive i needed to get some low recoiling buck and slug loads worked up :)

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:26 pm

RichNZ wrote:Nice! As soon as i get some time off work, you've given me the incentive i needed to get some low recoiling buck and slug loads worked up :)
Yeah handle it. Slugs are next for me. But i have a TON of pellet casting still yet to do to have enough #00 loaded up to be comfortable. It is to the point now that casting your own is the only option to reload #00. No one has any in stock. So i beg and barrow just to get my hands on the lead in raw form. I fear reloading shotgun ammo is a thing of the past.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:41 am

Oh yes. Got a plumber and builder mates who will drop scrap lead over to me for free thankfully... takes a bit of the edge off. Used to the only way to go in NZ for shotgun ammo was to reload as the price of shop ammo was so high. Now it's just expensive whichever way you go :)

What type of slugs you thinking of making?

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:07 pm

RichNZ wrote:
What type of slugs you thinking of making?

Just the standard Foster with rifling. Probably around 1350 ft/s