HD Barrel

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
action
New Shotgunner

Re: HD Barrel

Post by action » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Not sure what direction I am going yet but if I do cut mt barrel what is the best front sight to use ?
Thanks
Jack

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:39 am

action wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 pm
... but if I do cut mt barrel what is the best front sight to use ?
I'm not a HD shotgun guy, but I'd look at the many examples and pick what suits your fancy. Remember you may be using it at night, so "sights" are less important than good pointability., Your tactical distance may not need sights, more just a matter of "...point down that hallway."
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:45 pm

action wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 pm
Not sure what direction I am going yet but if I do cut mt barrel what is the best front sight to use ?
Thanks
Jack
Front bead only

Richard Sveum
New Shotgunner

Post by Richard Sveum » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:44 am

the big dot night sight bead would be my choice, Be careful when buying Remington slug barrels of recent manufacture I have seen more than a few that could not be zero'd because the rear sight was mounted off center.

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:00 am

Richard Sveum wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:44 am
the big dot night sight bead would be my choice, Be careful when buying Remington slug barrels of recent manufacture I have seen more than a few that could not be zero'd because the rear sight was mounted off center.
Wow, hadn't heard of that. Fixable, but wouldn't be happy about it.

I just epoxied an XS Big Dot on my non-pedestal bead barrel. Was easy, and the big dot does give me a better picture. Original bead was so low I couldn't see it when sighting down receiver plane, had to raise head a bit. Now seems perfect but I need to pattern with buck and slugs to know for sure. With bird shot it doesnt matter because I dont "aim".

Richard Sveum
New Shotgunner

Post by Richard Sveum » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:19 pm

My last 1187 20 gauge rifled slug rear sight was so far off that I had the base removed and the receiver drilled and tapped for a Williams peep sight. Made for a much better and faster handling sight in the woods. Just removed the rear insert and made for a great ghost ring sight.

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:36 am

action wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:21 pm
Thanks again.....Hacksaw sounds like work.....lol......I was thinking about a cut off wheel...Im pretty good with 1 and then maybe trying to crown it.....
Im thinking if someone can do it I can....I have the tools......just kind of wondering what people thought?
Thanks
Jack
Here’s a question that’s neither asked or answered.

Assuming your state limit is 18.5”, do you know where to measure that 18.5” from point to point? Getting it wrong could put you in a bad position.

UPDATE:
To clarify... I’ve seen two versions of how to measure the barrel for cutting and it seems if one or the other is incorrect the barrel could end up way too short (or long), so the question becomes how does the Law make the measurement?

Examples:

1. “Measure 18.5 inches from the back of the chamber to the 18.5” point on the barrel.

2. Put a shell in the chamber (note is doesn’t specify the shell size 2 3/4 , 3, or 3.5) then put a tape measure in the barrel and measure from the tip of the shell to the the desired 18.5.

As you can see there’s a possibility of a large error.
Last edited by gWebber on Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:28 pm

18.0" is minimum. But 18.5" seems typical, perhaps to avoid any Imperial entanglements. Machine operators make mistakes, tolerances drift, sure wouldnt want to sell someone a too-short barrel or have to recall a bunch that are in violation.

If you are cutting a ribbed barrel the rib spacing may dictate your barrel length if you want the rib to end near flush with barrel.

BKinzey
Senior Shotgunner

Post by BKinzey » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:28 pm

Interesting. The way to measure the barrel length I've heard is to have the bolt forward and locked and then measure the distance down the barrel to the bolt face. A dowel rod is often suggested. Certainly the length of ammo would make the measurement inconsistent.

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:50 pm

Well, you aren't supposed to have one in the chamber. In fact, for all that is Holy please DO NOT measure your bore with a live round in the chamber.