870 magazine extensions on other Remingtons

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
1slow96
New Shotgunner

870 magazine extensions on other Remingtons

Post by 1slow96 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 am

Some sources claim an 870 mag extension (two shot) will work on an older Remington Model 11. Yet,info.from manufacturers say the two are incompatible. Magazine tubes seem very similar to me,and end caps interchange. Except for Model 11 cap is thicker,and threads down further to secure barrel/forend. Suspect threads don't extend far enough into the extension to accomplish this. Would an appropriate size spacer bushing in between suffice? Would a two piece extension be better,or would there be too few threads left for extension tube. Realize this isn't 870 specifically,but more 870 related (sort of)... I'd like to do this,but don't want to buy a product that isn't going to work on my "off-label" application. Appreciate any replies from any who own both models,and/or anyone that knows,or who's done this...

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Re: 870 magazine extensions on other Remingtons

Post by Banshee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 am

The model 11 cap will fit on my 870,I use one when I use a 13 inch barrel on one of my SBS, L like how it looks. I also found out the model 11 cap will fit on my Mossberg Shockwave, but the detents do not line up. As for working on a model 11, I don't have one to test.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:48 am

If I recall correctly, the Model 11 is a long-recoil design with a moving barrel. 870 mag extensions are designed to stay tight against a nonmoving barrel guide ring (and in some cases, be clamped to the barrel itself). Even if the thread matches, I'm not sure you'll get reliable function putting an 870 extension on a Model 11,

Rodinal220

Post by Rodinal220 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:44 pm

Threads are the same. You need to make a .250 (1/4") spacer to take up the extra length. You can make it out of whatever metal you have, I have seen some make them from PVC, but any steel, aluminum, brass will work. I have a Tac-Star 5 shot extension on a 30" barreled Remington 11 and it works fine. Poor mans 3 gun.