870 TAC-14

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 TAC-14

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Did the barrel have a mag cap detent?

once0217

Post by once0217 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:40 pm
No it does not.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:40 pm
Sadly no.it is a typical 870 Express with a belt sander finish on the reciever and dimples in the magtube. Remington should have built it on the police model instead of the express.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Banshee, maybe you can write a review of the 870 Tac-14? It is pretty new and there is not much info about it. I'd be happy to post it on Rem870.com.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:16 am

Banshee wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm
Sadly no.it is a typical 870 Express with a belt sander finish on the reciever and dimples in the magtube. Remington should have built it on the police model instead of the express.
Seeing as the TAC-14 is only particularly useful as a range toy, I think the basic Express finishing makes sense. But since there are a lot of good +1 extension kits out there that are designed to line up with 14" barrels, it would have been nice if they'd built on one of the dimple-less Express Tactical receivers, and put a detent in the barrel. Not the end of the world, though.

I've gotten my Shockwave grip in. Haven't made it out to the range yet, but I did install it. Looks pretty cool, and seems to be solidly-made for the price. I did find it odd that the grip's tenon is too short to seat against my receiver. I actually ended up installing it with a stock bearing plate, which left a very small gap where the grip meets the receiver (I may sand the tenon down a hair), but resulted in better alignment and a much more solid seat. The plug that goes in over the mounting screw also seems to be too long to fit flush, that may need some tweaking.

Maxjeep

Post by Maxjeep » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 pm

I love my Tac 14 and I am in the process of some customization and fixing everything that it should have left the factory with.. so far I have added a chrome bolt carrier with a V extractor, metal trigger assembly, some fancy SS magazine follower and a wingmaster forend. Currently it is at Bobby Tyler's shop having color case hardened finish applied and mirror blue on the tube and barrel. This will stay by my nightstand and is much more than a toy... I hate the Magpul forend. I also think the mossburg is better out of the box.. I will buy one also but for now I'm happy with my two Tac 14's at 400 dollars that is like free guns! Why can't I post a picture here???
Last edited by Maxjeep on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:36 pm

I have both Mossberg and the Remington, I like the Tac 14 better. The action is smoother and the trigger is better and I like Remington safety location better, but I do prefer the Mossberg bolt release.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

m-forgery
Shotgunner

Post by m-forgery » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:00 am

I'll post some pics tomorrow, but I just picked up my TAC14 from being Cerakoted by a friend. The color is Tungsten and it looks badass.

I had already flattened the dimples in the mag tube by pressing them out using a small c-clamp and socket inside the tube. After Cerakote was applied you can't even tell there were dimples.

I treated the action bars with a coat of Perma-Slik G I had left over from refinishing AR15 mags.

Upgraded parts:
Wilson plus 1 magazine tube extension, I removed the sling attachment.
Wilson magazine spring.
S&J Hardware solid Delrin follower, green.
Remington synthetic police forend.
Volquartsen steel extractor.
Remington Police springs in the trigger pack.
XS Tritium Big Dot front sight.