New to skeet

mayran
New Shotgunner

New to skeet

Post by mayran » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:54 am

Since Vitaly opened up this area at my request, I feel obligated to make the first topic, so here goes...

I bought my first shotgun just over one month ago (870 Express, 12 ga, 28", wood stock) so that I could shoot skeet at my gun club. My brother-in-law took me out shooting sporting clays twice and skeet once and I was hooked.

Since the beginning of January, I have shot 14 lines of skeet and joined a league. I am loving it! My best score yet is a 17. I am working hard on my technique and trying to do things the same every time that I go out.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a lot of trouble extracting Winchester shells and I had a bit of trouble extracting Federal shells. I read about polishing the chamber, so I tried that and it has run flawlessly since then, even with the Winchesters. I have added a fiber optic sight that snaps on to the rib and an extended skeet choke. I plan to add a Boyd's stock and fore end kit next and possibly get the barrel ported and throated (forcing cone extended).

I will keep you updated on any future improvements or if I manage to hit 20 (goal of mine).

dbailey195
New Shotgunner

Re: New to skeet

Post by dbailey195 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:47 am

Thanks Vitaly and Mayran for getting this started. I have shot trap "once" in my life and it was for fun during a police training range as a side activity. I would like to shoot trap/skeet so I look forward to reading this board. Cheers.

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 am

I really enjoy the slower game of trap itself. It seems to keep my mind more focused on shooting skills instead of just blasting rounds at a flying target. If you miss, then it was something that you did different in your form, pull, stance, sighting, even breathing makes a huge difference. Speed of pull also tends to get people. Move slow, slow is fast in this game. Even if your shoot skeet, your swing speed can get to fast and it is very easy to go right onnnn passsttt your intended target. I don't blame you as far as being hooked, I have single handedly converted my whole entire family into upcoming trapshooters. Awsome I love this stuff and I just can't seem to get enough of it. Hopefully this next coming weekend I will be at P2K down in El Cajon Ca. and do some shootin. If not I guess it's the backyard again?

mayran
New Shotgunner

Post by mayran » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Shot a 19 yesterday morning! Best score yet. Unfortunately it was on a practice round and didn't count towards league. Followed it up w a 15, which is still a bit above my average.

Just ordered a new stock and forend yesterday, too. Can't wait for it to arrive. It's a Boyd's American Plainsman style in forest camo laminate. Should be pretty sexy! I'll get some pics up when it comes in and I get it installed.

RainMan_JH
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RainMan_JH » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:00 am

mayran wrote:Shot a 19 yesterday morning! Best score yet. Unfortunately it was on a practice round and didn't count towards league. Followed it up w a 15, which is still a bit above my average.

Just ordered a new stock and forend yesterday, too. Can't wait for it to arrive. It's a Boyd's American Plainsman style in forest camo laminate. Should be pretty sexy! I'll get some pics up when it comes in and I get it installed.
That sounds awesome. I am also fairly new to trap and skeet. I had been out with my friends a couple of times borrowing their guns and now I am hooked. I bought a new 870 about a month ago. I am curious how your new stock fits as I have been eyeing Boyds Sterling Thumbhole stock and fore end kit.

mayran
New Shotgunner

Post by mayran » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 am

RainMan_JH wrote: That sounds awesome. I am also fairly new to trap and skeet. I had been out with my friends a couple of times borrowing their guns and now I am hooked. I bought a new 870 about a month ago. I am curious how your new stock fits as I have been eyeing Boyds Sterling Thumbhole stock and fore end kit.
The stock is on back order so I don't know how long it'll be before I see it. It's bought and paid for, though. I'll get some pics up and let you know what I think when I get my hands on it.

Shot 3 lines last night and shot 19, 16, & 19. Guess which one was the league registered line? You guessed it, the 16.

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:12 pm

One thing that helps a lot is to "sight in" your shotgun. Get on a pattern board and see how the gun shoots relative to where you are looking. With trap and skeet, I prefer a high shooting gun. I like a 70/30 pattern. That means 70% of your pattern will be above your point of aim and 30% below your point of aim. Using this method, you will always see the target. It has been a while since I shot skeet, but the last registered shoot I was in I sucked with 96/100. While it may sound impressive, it puts me smack dab in the middle of the pack.

Some of the differneces between trap and skeet is trap is easier to learn but harder to perfect. Skeet is harder to learn but easier to perfect. In skeet once you figure out the lead, its a piece of cake. The targets will look the same every time. In trap the machine oscillates so you don't know where the target will be going. Sure you can time the trap and have an idea of where it will be going, but right about the time you figure it out and plan for a left target, you get a right target. That really messes with your head in a tournament.

Your biggest competition is your brain. Turn it off and look at the target, swing, break the target. It's as simple as that. 8-)

RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RandyWag » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:31 pm

I went clay shooting for the first time in mid febuary and i had one hell of a time. I thought it was a great stress reliever and awsome practice.
If you break into my house, be quiet, or ill wake up and unload on you.

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Sun May 12, 2013 12:19 am

I really want to do this too, I have three shotguns, 2 with ghost rings and no choke and then my 870P (i/c) bead. None of them well suited... I should probably just pick up a 870 express with a choked 26" tube.

Funny it's almost $200 for an express barrel (26-28" Mod) or you can buy the whole express for $300 :?:

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed May 15, 2013 3:54 am

MStarmer wrote:I should probably just pick up a 870 express with a choked 26" tube.

Funny it's almost $200 for an express barrel (26-28" Mod) or you can buy the whole express for $300
Check out used barrels. I got my 28" vent-rib RemChoke barrel and 2 choke tubes for $100. It's nice to be able to swap a barrel on and use the furniture and run-in action you're used to for sport shooting.