Things a Bored Guy Does.... P-W 375 Single Stage Press

Shotgun Ammunition Reloading.
Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Things a Bored Guy Does.... P-W 375 Single Stage Press

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:09 pm

I picked up a used P-W 375 single-stage press off eBay just to try. Lots guys at the gun club use P-W's and they tend to be snobbish about it. I wanted to see what all the full-length-die-support crappolla was about, so I tried the basic model. Yea, it'll make a purty shell, but the ergonomics suck.

Things to like? Able to change shot (not so often) and powder (very often when dialing in a load drop) bushings, ability to use Hornady or MEC powder bushings if you don't have the whole P-W kit of them, really nice prime/deprime cycle.

Things to dislike? Ergonomics. You've got to keep your right hand on the operating lever, so to do most anything you reach underneath with your left hand, to the right, then arch back to the left to get a ejected hull or to load a new hull, constantly scraping your left hand against the primer eject tray mechanism. There's also essentially no "set points". A MEC 600 Jr cams over, and you know that each station (except primer seating) requires a full camming cycle. The P-W well.... you lift it this high to move from this station to that, but then that high to move to this station over here. Too high and you hit the de-prime rod, too low and you hit the primer seating device. Then when your cycle is done to the left you have to come all the way back to the right. The manual is poorly written, also, and was very little help if I wasn't very mechanically inclined to begin with. The reason you need that full-length sizing die is that the final crimp station crushes the bejesus out of the top of the shell, and then you gotta have the hull sides supported when the eject rod smashes the shell headed south out of the machine (which btw, you have to reach under with you left hand to catch, scraping it again on the ejected primer tray....)

Customer service at P-W is superb, however. Even on a weekend!

Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Things a Bored Guy Does.... P-W 375 Single Stage Press

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Oh, and the ability to empty the shot and powder hoppers so simply is superb. Makes the MEC tilt-back-a-full-shot-tower system look barbaric. That is a superb feature.

I've seen a big P-W machine in operation, and they're nice. Nothing to be snobbish about though.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Things a Bored Guy Does.... P-W 375 Single Stage Press

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:58 pm

I've now loaded over 700+ shells thru this reloader. I know because of the stack of empty primer boxes from LGS. All my initial thoughts/pros/cons still hold. Another "con" issue is that you can't pull a shell at any time to check or correct anything, which is easy on a MEC 600 or Pacific DL-155. If you want to check actual thrown powder weight, you can, but not on the shell that you're loading. You can do it offline outside of the system, but that's not a shell that's in the system cycle and will actually get that load. Still not liking the shell eject system, you eject the shell right into the machines workings if you don't catch it. Who designs a machine to do that?!?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life