beginner reloading

Shotgun Ammunition Reloading.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: beginner reloading

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 am

There are potential dangers with going both above and below published powder charge weights when loading shotshells. Too high, obviously, can lead to excessive pressures and all the fun stuff that goes with that. Too low can cause an incomplete powder burn when there's not enough pressure to make it work right. This is often called a "blooper", and it usually just causes an extremely underpowered, but otherwise harmless shot. But there is a danger of the wad failing to exit the barrel when this happens, becoming a bore obstruction for the next shot. Ambient temperature is a factor too; sometimes a reduced load will seem to run fine at the range on a nice day, but then when you take it hunting in cold weather, you'll get bloopers.

Slow powders are most prone to this, as they're more dependent on sufficient pressure to burn properly. 700-X is a pretty fast-burning propellant that does well in very light loads & small charge weights, so you're probably not going to have any issues going slightly lighter. Just be sure to check the barrel if a shot goes off with significantly reduced noise and/or recoil.

If you'd like, go ahead and post the recipe you're looking at, and the alternate powder charge you're thinking of using, and I can check some other sources to see if I can find out whether or not it's within published ranges.

novaz
Shotgunner

Post by novaz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi
here is the load I am thinking of using due more to the fact that my recent broken arm needs some help with recoil
I obtained this load out of the 50th lyman reloading for shotgun manual

7/8oz low recoil
Gun Club or AA Hulls (my choice)
Win 209 primer
700X powder@16.0 grs
WAA 12L Wad
The Lee Loadall which I purchased has the powder charge showing a .128 bushing gives 15.6grs or a .134 bushing gives a 16.3 charge
I have a Lyman 1500 digital scale
do I use a lesser charge or do I add a little extra powder .
Thanks

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:06 am

My 5th edition Lyman handbook shows 18.5 grains of 700-X as safe with the WAA12L & Win. 209 in Remington Gun Clubs & STSs (1320 FPS @ 9200 PSI). And Hodgdon's website gives data for the Gun Clubs, Win. 209 primer, and Winchester WAA12SL wad (very similar to the grey WAA12L, just with a slightly shorter leg section, and light pink in color) ranging from 15 grains of 700-X (1150 FPS @ 6700 PSI) to 18.5 grains (1325 FPS @ 9700 PSI).

You should be good either way, but using the gray WAA12L wad with its longer cushion section, I'd go with the slightly heavier charge, personally. Bit more of a buffer in case of powder charge variances, since 700-X is a flake-type powder that doesn't always meter perfectly, and a bit of extra pressure can help the charge burn more uniformly.

novaz
Shotgunner

Post by novaz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks again for all your help
I have the Loadall set up and hope to be reloading next week
just waiting for the surgeons ok to shoot again
on that part of it does shooting hulls with just primers in cause any problems apart from extra debris in the barrel.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 am

I've heard/read that setting off a primer by itself can leave stuff in the barrel that can harm it if left there. This'll depend on the formulation of the exact primers you're using, which can vary between manufacturers. I don't know all the details, but I'd run a patch through the barrel afterward just to be safe.

One thing I can personally attest to is that primers - even on their own - are loud. Setting one off in a closed garage left my ears ringing for a good while. I'd definitely recommend plugs or muffs if you've got a bunch of primed hulls that you need to pop before de-priming.

novaz
Shotgunner

Post by novaz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks
I am a stickler for cleaning stuff so that's not a problem
I have some sound deadening/noise reduction headphones so they should help
installed the Lee Loadall on my new work bench and went through and deprimed and sized a couple hundread hulls its really cool though I expect the novelty will wear off after a while ,heading to a gun show next weekend to try and get some powder as the few shops in this part of AZ don't carry much in stock .