Lee Drive Slug Barrel Fitment

Shotgun Ammunition Reloading.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Lee Drive Slug Barrel Fitment

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:27 am

REMI870 wrote:Haven't been on for a while; it's too cold to hit the range where I'm at on the east coast.
We've been pretty buried out here; the RO where I shoot had to dig trenches so folks could get out to the target boards, and the covered shooting benches have been iced over, so I keep a picnic blanket in my rig to throw over it when I go shooting.
REMI870 wrote:There was lots of testing done on the key drive slugs on YouTube. The 7/8 oz slugs are more nose-heavy than the 1 oz slugs and have been proven to exceed their accuracy. This was my reasoning for purchasing the 7/8 oz mold. It's also been said that the 12S0 wads are a good combination for these slugs.
I like the 7/8-ounce slugs because they produce less recoil, use less lead, and should be more prone to breaking up in a fleshy target. The only problem is that there isn't a ton of good high-velocity 7/8-ounce/24 gram load data to pick from. With 1 1/8-ounce payloads, I can easily find data ranging from 980 FPS to nearly 1600 FPS.

I like the Federal wads because they have more stiffness in the leg section and better structure under the shot cup than a lot of other popular wads. They don't seem to like tapered hulls, though, which is why I'm using the Federal Gold Medals for these slugs.
REMI870 wrote:I have one of those Tactical Breach tubes on my gun. I don't think the wads brushing the holes on the breach tube will effect accuracy though, once the projectile exits the end of the barrel, that little bit of plastic isn't going to have any effect on it; at least that's what I think.
One-piece wads like the 12S0 don't separate from the shot or slug until well after the payload has left the barrel (I'm working on a video involving some high-speed footage that shows this very well). Though my slugs seem to separate quite cleanly, random damage or strikes to the wad's rear end before the slug is completely out of the shotcup could give the slug some initial yaw during its flight. Since consistency is the key to accurate ammo, such random factors are worth avoiding if possible. I've also come across reports of the Remington breacher choke affecting the consistency of buckshot patterns, with similar tell-tale damage to the rear of the wad. The breacher choke does not seem to be throwing flyers with these slug loads (though we'll see how things look at longer ranges), but I still think I would be better off with a non-ported cylinder tube. Plus, the thing just looks dumb.