Shotgun Ammunition Reloading.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

American Shot Sizes part I: Birdshot - Shotguns 101 #1

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Thumbnail_birdshot sizes_halfs_button.PNG
Click for the video.
Thumbnail_birdshot sizes_halfs_button.PNG (57.92 KiB) Viewed 7018 times

This is the first in a new series of videos on general shotgunning topics. This isn't replacing my 870 series, but it will allow me to pass on some more broadly-applicable information in-between videos on the 870 and other subjects. I already have a lot of ideas for future videos, but I'd still like to hear any suggestions you might have.

Shot sizes are one of most confusing aspects of the shotgun world. For newcomers, all those arbitrary letters and numbers are an utter mystery; and even many experienced shooters can't keep track of all the different sizes, their corresponding diameters, and how it's all organized. Sure, there are plenty of tables and charts out there, but I've never been able to find a single complete reference that doesn't leave anything out. So I figured I'd kick off this new video series with a two-part guide that covers all of the American shot sizes; along with the various formulas and naming conventions, and a brief look at what the different sizes are used for. This video will focus on birdshot, and the next will cover buckshot (I was initially planning to create one video that went over both shot types, but I decided to split them up for several reasons).

I recommend watching this video with the annotations turned on. I'll be adding various notes to provide further details and address some common questions and potential points of confusion. There will be no giant flags blocking the video, and absolutely no begging for subscriptions or likes.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: American Shot Sizes part I: Birdshot - Shotguns 101 #1

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:55 am

Just realized I forgot to update this thread. Just in case anyone is looking for it, part II on buckshot sizes is online:

Buckshot Thumbnail_Button.jpg
Click for the video
Buckshot Thumbnail_Button.jpg (41.31 KiB) Viewed 6629 times

Holmes375
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: American Shot Sizes part I: Birdshot - Shotguns 101 #1

Post by Holmes375 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:10 pm

Very informative. I'll be keeping the links for reference as its a confusing aspect to explain to folks.

Thank you for your time and effort.