What buildout should I do?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Bill_1202
New Shotgunner

What buildout should I do?

Post by Bill_1202 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:58 pm

I have a tactical express magnum that I might want to build out. However, it might cost some serious $$ to do what I'm thinking I want to do. I bought it for $180. This is what I'm thinking:

- Magpul stock and MOE forend ($150)
- 2" extended mag (that flushes up with the end of the 18" barrel ($50)
- Ghost Sights (installed $250)
- Side Saddle ($50)
- Rogaurd finish (370)
- INFORCE WMLX Lite (170)

Damn! Over $1000. That's not even doing any internal work. Contemplating on if it's really worth it? Hmmm...

I would like to have less recoil and hoping that the Magpul helps with that. Wondering if spending the money on the ghost sights are worth it or just go with a big dot front site?

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: What buildout should I do?

Post by Chief Brody » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:12 am

My $.02, not sure how the Magpul stock set will reduce recoil. A good aftermarket recoil pad on the other hand, that can be pretty effective. Although the Magpul stuff does have butt pad spacers to get the length of pull just right. If you get that dialed in, you should physically handle the gun better.

Also, $50 for a side saddle seems pretty steep. Check out the elastic/velcro options. They're much less expensive AND less bulky AND lighter weight. Esstac, S&J Hardware, there are several suppliers.

See if you can shoot a shotgun with GS sights before you take that plunge. I've shot them a couple of times and wasn't in love with it. Before I shot it, mind you, I was sure I wanted them on my own 870 Police Mag. Currently, I have a rifle sight barrel with Ameriglo night sights. Pretty good, not the fastest sights in the world, but much better than Rem's rifle sights. Thing is, if I decide to change them, I can swap on a different barrel without having the ghost ring rear permanently mounted to the receiver.

Good luck with your build.
Steve
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:50 pm

Bill_1202 wrote:- Magpul stock and MOE forend ($150)
- 2" extended mag (that flushes up with the end of the 18" barrel ($50)
- Ghost Sights (installed $250)
- Side Saddle ($50)
- Rogaurd finish (370)
- INFORCE WMLX Lite (170)

Damn! Over $1000. That's not even doing any internal work. Contemplating on if it's really worth it? Hmmm...
Here're my thoughts for a more budget-friendly take on what you seem to be looking to do (a functional HD build):

-Stock furniture works fine & fits most adults who aren't wearing armor or a chest rig ($0)
-For help with recoil, an improved recoil pad ($25 - $45)
-Wilson Combat +2 mag extension; a bit heavy & unrefined, but tough & reliable ($45)
-A stock bead works well for HD ($0); or you can get a glue-on tritium bead for the dark ($65)
-Velcro sidesaddle ($12 - $20 depending on capacity)
-Factory Express finish works fine for HD; just oil it occasionally ($0)
-Inexpensive LED white light (~$30 + maybe $15 for a cheap clamp-on rail)

With shipping, call it roughly $100 - $200, and you have a gun that'll do pretty much the same thing as your above setup in a HD application. Start with that, get some trigger time, maybe take a class, and then you'll have a much better idea whether or not any of your initial list of premium add-ons are worth the money.

Bill_1202
New Shotgunner

Post by Bill_1202 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:38 pm

This makes a lot of sense. Someday, I can build out a nice tactical the way I would like it but for now, I would like to have good HD.

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:04 am

I build a lot of 870s for the home defense role. Personally, I highly recommend you shoot a gun with Ghost Rings before you plunk down that much money. My standard 870HD builds all get a XS Big Dot tritium night sight. It works great at night, but that big dot really helps in daylight too. As for the Rogard finish, it's really nice, but unless you're planning on getting into a lot of soggy gunfights, I wouldn't bother. I Cerakote shotguns for $200. That's almost half the cost of Rogard, and they look fantastic.