Lets have some pictures of your builds.

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
glwanabe
New Shotgunner

Re: Lets have some pictures of your builds.

Post by glwanabe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Nothing radical in the build dept. Just basic stocks, barrel combo's, and mag extensions.

Two base model guns, and simple parts swaps.

glwanabe
New Shotgunner

Post by glwanabe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:10 pm

new 21" barrel arrived. This afford options in setups.

brianr4341
New Shotgunner

Post by brianr4341 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Here's mine!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (401.08 KiB) Viewed 6545 times

Bayoubob

Post by Bayoubob » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:11 pm

My 20 gauge Wingmaster Magnum conversion, Wifey won’t shoot a 12 ga. After getting close to the end, I like all things about the 20 for home defense.
Check it out on this Photobucket link:

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... CF1410.jpg

I started with the stock. I wanted to save the original, so a local gunsmith gave me a cut off 12 ga stock. I reworked it down to fit my 20. Then I spray painted it with a black texture paint from Lowes. Cut down a free butt plate and added black leather spacer, then put my initials in the plate. The stock being cut down for youth is right for Wifey to shoulder or shoot from the hip. For me, it’s too short to shoulder, so I use it from the hip or just free holding any angle. With the laser, if needed, you point which I think is quicker than aiming; one less step. Added a Remington 18.5” barrel plain cyl. Added a 2 shot extension tube. The Picatinny accessory is for a 12 ga. Couldn’t find one for a 20 ga when I started this project, so I made a spacer out of PVC pipe. Hey, a country boy can survive! Added the light and laser (momentary contact for the laser not shown). Swivel attachments for a nylon strap. Don’t know if that’s a good idea or not about the strap, any suggestions? The total length is 35” and weighs 6 lbs. So give me some feed back good or bad, it’s my first conversion and I’m not a professional. Thanks!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:28 am

Bayoubob, take this with the understanding that my tastes run on the minimalist side of the spectrum, but I wonder if all that stuff on the front of the gun is really a net benefit. Ounces add up and make a difference, especially when those ounces are out at the muzzle end of the gun. One thing I'd recommend is having your wife shoulder the gun and hold it on a fixed point from a standing offhand stance (butt in the shoulder, as if ready to fire) for three straight minutes without resting, and see how she handles it. This is meant to simulate holding an intruder at gunpoint or keeping the door to the safe room covered while waiting for the authorities to arrive. If she can't manage three minutes (which is honestly not much when discussing armed stand-offs) without serious discomfort, you may want to look at streamlining your build.

This test is best done with the gun loaded, preferably with realistically-weighted snap caps or dummy rounds rather than the live stuff, especially if you're not at a range.

Also think about the ammo you choose. Folks seem to forget that recoil is independent of gauge. It's payload mass & velocity, plus the mass of the gun (which inversely affects recoil), that are important. The 20ga is known to be softer-shooting than the 12 simply because it typically uses lighter payloads for the same applications, which is usually enough to make up for the negative impact of the lighter gun. But 20ga buckshot loads - especially magnum ones - can contain as much lead as many 12ga shells. The oft-recommended Federal 18-pellet #2 buck load, for example, has about 10% more lead volume than 9 pellets of 00 buck (and about 20% more lead than 9 pellets of 0 buck, which is what many 12ga "00 buck" shells are actually loaded with), and in a lighter 20ga gun, it can equal or even exceed the recoil energy of common 12ga buckshot shells.

knucklehead211
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by knucklehead211 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:40 pm

glwanabe wrote:new 21" barrel arrived. This afford options in setups.
Where did you find your 21" barrel?

AF Shooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AF Shooter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:16 pm

These are my two Rem 870's. One has a 21" Vent Ribbed Barrel with an Imp Cyl Rem Choke installed, really sweet shooting gun! The other is an "out of the box", no upgrades Rem 870 with an 18" Cylinder Bore Barrel. This is my Home defense gun. It's Brand spankin new, and shoots and cycles great! I love how short and maneuverable it is. I probably will add a magazine extension and side saddle to this one in the future.
Defensor Fortis!

jermzy
New Shotgunner

Post by jermzy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:41 am

Purchased this Police trade in 870 Police Magnum for 300 OTD. Finish is very rough on the barrel, but the internals are mint. The action is also butter smooth. I might buy a new barrel for it off midway. They have them for 98 bucks. I figure with the new barrel Im still under the cost of a brand new Police Magnum. Especially if I sell this barrel. Or trade it with someone for a barrel without rifle sights. Not a fan of the sights.

AF Shooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AF Shooter » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:30 am

$300 bucks. I think you got a good deal... I like it, it's got the Rem mag extension and a good receiver. That's a keeper! I just bought a new 870 with an 18" barrel with a ramped bead sight; if your barrel were in better shaped i'd trade you. I prefer rifle sights. I like the Police Magnums' too.
Defensor Fortis!

AF Shooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AF Shooter » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:02 am

Really sweet looking shotgun brianr4341 !
Defensor Fortis!