Lets have some pictures of your builds.

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Vitaly
Owner

Re: Lets have some pictures of your builds.

Post by Vitaly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Very good photos, guys!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

rysterz22

Post by rysterz22 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Current build, its my 1st shotty. but not done yet

RomeoPapa
Shotgunner

Post by RomeoPapa » Fri May 03, 2013 11:58 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (51.11 KiB) Viewed 9156 times
Here's my latest. Started as an 870 Tactical, model 5077. I've added/changed

Scattergun Tech Post and ghost rings sights (tritium front and rear)
Scattergun Tech oversized safety
Timney trigger kit (used the middle-weight spring). I know this will start a religious war, and many claim this kit isn't worth the money, but it does make for a very nice trigger.

Non-MIM extractor
Heavy-duty carrier dog spring
Speedfeed reduced LOP stock modified with a sling stud on the side. I had this laying around, and prefer a more traditional look in stockes.

Scattergun Tech magazine spring
Mesa Tactical 6 round sidesaddle

Brownell's aluminum follower (red anodized). I used this follower because the gun came with an extended magazine, and I didn't want to mess around with taking out the dimples. So I was limited to a dimple-compatible follower.

Changed out the magazine cap because I didn't want one that looks like a nipple. It's also a standard Remington part. There's a Speedfeed wave washer underneath it.

Magpul front sling mount. I went this route because the sling plates like GG&G and Scattergun Tech that are designed to go under the magazine cap moved the front sling mount too far forward for my tastes. The Mesa Tactical equivalent is also good, but I didn't really feel the need for a substantial clamp because of the location of the barrel support; I just needed someplace to attach a sling.

Vickers Tactical combat applications sling (padded version).

The gun came with a Speedfeed fore-end, which I haven't changed yet. I do have a SureFire 618LM fore-end I may put on it after I get the gun broken in.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Sat May 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Nice and simple, Romeopapa - Looks great!
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Sat May 04, 2013 4:30 pm

rysterz22 wrote:Current build, its my 1st shotty. but not done yet
Glad you had the second pic, I thought you built it upside down... :)

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Sat May 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Romeopapa, although some will ding the "tactical" model for its unique magazine tube and barrel ring location I think it's a great gun to start with if keeping it simple. You don't have to worry about which extension you're going to get and you're most likely work with the barrel the gun came with. Easy simple fighting / HD type shotgun, a few standardized upgrades and it's a pretty good bargain. If you want a six pack of extra tubes for it well then pick another model.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sat May 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Some really nice shotguns here!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

RomeoPapa
Shotgunner

Post by RomeoPapa » Sat May 04, 2013 8:01 pm

MStarmer wrote:Romeopapa, although some will ding the "tactical" model for its unique magazine tube and barrel ring location I think it's a great gun to start with if keeping it simple. You don't have to worry about which extension you're going to get and you're most likely work with the barrel the gun came with. Easy simple fighting / HD type shotgun, a few standardized upgrades and it's a pretty good bargain. If you want a six pack of extra tubes for it well then pick another model.
That was exactly my thinking. With the factory long mag tube, you don't have to worry about any kind of seam hanging stuff up in the magazine. Also, with the barrel support where it is, there is no need for any kind of clamp. I did change out the mag spring and follower. I can tell you there's a huge difference between the Scattergun Tech +2 spring and the stock Remington spring. Remington still uses dimples and the standard spring retainer, which I left as is, mainly to control all that tension in the ST spring. The dimples do limit your choice of followers, though.

I agree with you that these guns are a bargain. The most expensive upgrade by far was the sights. Most of the other stuff I already had on hand as spares and extras.

And I definitely like simple and easy.

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Sat May 04, 2013 10:44 pm

RomeoPapa wrote:
MStarmer wrote:Romeopapa, although some will ding the "tactical" model for its unique magazine tube and barrel ring location I think it's a great gun to start with if keeping it simple. You don't have to worry about which extension you're going to get and you're most likely work with the barrel the gun came with. Easy simple fighting / HD type shotgun, a few standardized upgrades and it's a pretty good bargain. If you want a six pack of extra tubes for it well then pick another model.
That was exactly my thinking. With the factory long mag tube, you don't have to worry about any kind of seam hanging stuff up in the magazine. Also, with the barrel support where it is, there is no need for any kind of clamp. I did change out the mag spring and follower. I can tell you there's a huge difference between the Scattergun Tech +2 spring and the stock Remington spring. Remington still uses dimples and the standard spring retainer, which I left as is, mainly to control all that tension in the ST spring. The dimples do limit your choice of followers, though.

I agree with you that these guns are a bargain. The most expensive upgrade by far was the sights. Most of the other stuff I already had on hand as spares and extras.

And I definitely like simple and easy.
Did you put the sights on yourself? It looks like a set the average hobby gunsmith could attempt. I've had them on a Scattergun Tech Border Patrol model I had years and years ago and they were pretty good, a lot less obtrusive than some rail types.

RomeoPapa
Shotgunner

Post by RomeoPapa » Sun May 05, 2013 2:30 am

I found a gunsmith that specializes in shotguns, and he put them on for me. The front is staked with a 1/16" roll pin through the bead pedestal, which I think would be the hardest part. A lot of folks forego staking the front and rely on the epoxy, but I like the extra insurance of that little pin. The gunsmith let the epoxy cure for 48 hours before staking it. To be honest with you, the guy did pretty much a perfect job on them, and I don't know that I could have pulled that off. So, in that regard, it was worth his fee to me, for the quality of work he did.

If you've got a good set of tools and the skills to go with them, I think installing them is well within your reach.

I ended up going with the two-dot tritium rear ghost ring because that was all Brownell's had in stock when I ordered. The tubes on the ghost ring don't have any type of outline, so they're unobtrusive and you don't really notice them until they light up. But they're probably unneccessary. I've got a Border Patrol as well, and the rear on it is unlit.