Flashlight near muzzle

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Brandog

Flashlight near muzzle

Post by Brandog » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:12 am

Hey yall, im wanting to upgrade my flashlight on my 870. I recently purchased a Streamlight Protac rail mount 2 for my converted Saiga IZ132 that i find to be a perfect light for my purposes. I want to run another Protac Rail mount 2 paired with a magpul cantilever scout mount on my Magpul 870 mlok forend. The issue presents itself when the light mounted places the head of the light just short of the muzzle. Is there any chance of damage to a flashlight mounted nearly flush with the muzzle? If so, i'll pair it with the magpul offset mount to bring the light back some. Google aint helping much on this one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Re: Flashlight near muzzle

Post by Banshee » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:26 am

I would take a guess and say as long as it is behind the muzzle it should be ok. It may pick up some powder fouling on the lens.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:46 am

Yeah, a little powder residue on the lens should be about the worst you'll have to deal with, so long as it's a quality light that's designed to stand up to shotgun-level recoil. If you want to save yourself a little cleaning, maybe put a cap or some tape over the lens when you're practicing at a well-lit range. A cheapo lens cap meant for one of those dinky little .22 rimfire scopes could work (not sure exactly how wide the front end of that light is).

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:09 pm

I would definitely cover up the lens when shooting. My stream light got so much black residue on the lens that it became damaged. I tried cleaners and using pencil erasers to rub out the carbon. It still leaves a black cloudy patch on the lens. So I’m gonna have to get a new lens.

tracker201

Post by tracker201 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 am

When you are training use chapstick on the lens, carbon usually wipes right off afterward.

casimiracon

Post by casimiracon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:45 am

Oh, yeah, u right!

MarissaJohnson

Post by MarissaJohnson » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:24 pm

Why, if the update can now cost the price equal to purchasing a new flashlight? I bought a flashlight on Amazon a year ago (here is the link https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight- ... B089T8HDBV ). It still works fine. The glass has not dimmed, the buttons are normally pressed, and it is like new, considering that I dropped it several times. But even after that, no scratch was left on the durable aluminum case. I would also note the convenient size, nice design, and bright light. So it's better to buy a new one, and leave the old one as it is.