870 Tips & Tricks #5: Much Ado About Shell Carriers

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

870 Tips & Tricks #5: Much Ado About Shell Carriers

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:02 am

Thumbnail_01.JPG
Click for the video
Thumbnail_01.JPG (37.17 KiB) Viewed 11644 times

Like most other repeating shotguns, the Remington 870 uses a tubular magazine to store shells. The key role of a device called the shell carrier is to accept shells from the magazine, and line them up with the barrel for chambering.

In this video, I'll explain the mechanics of the shell carrier's function, address some common misconceptions and exaggerated shortcomings of the 870’s carrier, go over the design changes that have been made to it over the years, and demonstrate how to use the modern flex-tab carrier to allow an extra shell to be loaded into the gun.

Thanks to Ponycarman for taking pictures of his old 870 parts for this video.

It's not exactly a brief video, but I wanted to at least touch on all the aspects of this key element of the 870’s action. The complexity of this video made editing it a real pain in the rear, since the editor I’m using is a very poorly-designed piece of software that required me to render this in multiple pieces, and perform the final trimming & assembly with YouTube's clunky online editor.

I recommend watching this video with the annotations turned on. I'll be adding various notes to provide further details or to answer questions you might have. I've tried to keep them unobtrusive; no giant flags blocking the video, no begging for subscriptions or likes. Since this video is lengthier than most of the others in this series, I'll also be adding annotations at the beginning to let you jump to different "chapters".

This continues my series of how-to videos with the Remington 870 shotgun. There are several other topics I have planned for future videos, but it's a fluid list. I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have for video topics. I'd also appreciate any comments on the format of this series; things you liked, things you didn't like, things you'd like to see done differently, etc. I'm still playing around with styles, formats, and programs; figuring out what works, what works well, and what doesn't work at all, so any input would help me out.

Here are the comparison images shown in the video. Click for the large versions.

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Re: 870 Tips & Tricks #5: Much Ado About Shell Carriers

Post by Zebra62 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Very cool video. Highly informative.

I was wondering about the little cut-out but you have answered the question.

LOVE the Lava lamp in the background. :D
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Zebra62 wrote:LOVE the Lava lamp in the background. :D
Lava lamps are very cool to look at, but when you really get to know them, they're absolutely mind-blowing. Based on very simple physics, the contents of those glass bottles form a dynamic system that is so utterly chaotic that the fundamental nature of our universe makes it physically impossible to model and predict its behavior in any remotely accurate manner. We can completely understand and explain how the system works, but we are hopelessly incapable of using that knowledge to predict what it will do.

It's an endlessly fascinating, almost philosophical concept to me; and I have about a half-dozen lava lamps placed around my apartment.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Great and very informative video! I would like to eventually convert ny old wingmaster completely over to the flexitab system but I don't want to lose my polished bolt or spend the money to get an updated polished one haha

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 pm

ponycarman wrote:I would like to eventually convert ny old wingmaster completely over to the flexitab system but I don't want to lose my polished bolt or spend the money to get an updated polished one haha
The killer prices on the new breech bolt assemblies is because Remington only seems to offer the complete assemblies, not just the bolt itself.

I would keep your eye on sites like GunBroker or Ebay. People often post breech bolts or breech bolt assemblies, and you can find some good deals; especially if you are willing to buy a stripped or partially-stripped bolt and swap your existing hardware over. This one, for example, is for sale for $35, and just needs the extractor parts:
Just pay attention and make sure you're getting the updated part. A call to Remington to ensure all the small parts are compatible might not be a bad idea either.

While you're looking, you can probably find a decent deal on an updated slide assembly as well, but that can also be ordered straight from Remington without breaking the bank.

You've mentioned in a couple threads that just the new carrier alone won't deal with a shell-under-slide jam as well as the complete upgrade would. Could you go into some specifics on that? Does the action still bind up, but just not as bad? Or is the shell hanging up somewhere on the older-style slide or breech bolt?

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:59 pm

If I had a descent camera i could video it to demonstrate. I might try it with my new phone. Yeah it functions partially. The bolt assembly will open most of the way but it hangs up partially open. I believe on the rim of the shell. After trying a couple of times to force it out it will eject the shell but appears to be taking chunks out of the rim of the shell. I'll try to get a video of it or something even if I have to use me webcam.

Thanks for the tips. I may just do that. Grab a cheap replacement and polish it myself. Might be a fun project.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:05 pm

After some more testing and investigation it looks like the rim of the shell is hanging up on the bolt but it is hard to tell. That would explain the relief cut on the new style of bolt to prevent this. I think i might pull out my other 870 with the full system to mix and match some parts to see if all are truly necessary.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Well made, informative video. But i dont think its the best idea to show how to ghost load an 870. It has no practical use. Also i see nothing wrong with manipulating a gun in your home with live ammunition. Doing things like ghost loading that isnt something the gun is suppose to do might be dangerous, i dont know. But i constantly mamipulate my HD 870 with live ammunition. How else do you load an HD gun? Remember its an inanimate object. If you dont make it go bang it wont. If a shooter cant feel comfortable handling firearms with live ammo in an environment whete a ND is unacceptable then he shouldnt touch a gun. Because a ND is never acceptable. But again good info over all, thanks.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:12 pm

ponycarman wrote:I may just do that. Grab a cheap replacement and polish it myself. Might be a fun project.
Are you looking for a chrome bolt, or a polished blued one? I have a couple parts I regularly cruise auction sites looking for, so I can keep an eye out.
Kentactic wrote:i dont think its the best idea to show how to ghost load an 870. It has no practical use.
A lot of things people do with their shotguns have little to no practical use. I have heard of people ghost-loading for some competition shooting, but as I said in the video, it's mostly just a fun trick to play around with at the range. I specifically warn against doing it for critical roles. If people choose to ignore that, it's on them.
Kentactic wrote:Also i see nothing wrong with manipulating a gun in your home with live ammunition. Doing things like ghost loading that isnt something the gun is suppose to do might be dangerous, i dont know. But i constantly mamipulate my HD 870 with live ammunition. How else do you load an HD gun? Remember its an inanimate object. If you dont make it go bang it wont. If a shooter cant feel comfortable handling firearms with live ammo in an environment whete a ND is unacceptable then he shouldnt touch a gun.
Loading the gun to check capacity, or ready it for HD while pointing it in a safe direction is fine. Using live ammo to test functioning, practice an unfamiliar technique, or for drills where the goal is to work the gun as quickly as possible while moving it around is entirely different, and not at all a responsible way to handle a firearm.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Loading the gun to check capacity, or ready it for HD while pointing it in a safe direction is fine. Using live ammo to test functioning, practice an unfamiliar technique, or for drills where the goal is to work the gun as quickly as possible while moving it around is entirely different, and not at all a responsible way to handle a firearm.
If i cant keep my finger off the trigger and the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times then i shouldnt be holding it at all. Wether theres a round forced under the bolt or not means nothing. To say some times its safe to use live ammo at home and some times its not is giving off the vibe that if the gun goes off in those situations that its less dangerous. If ghost loading required you to be very drunk to perform id agree with you.