870 Build

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
codyphillips48
Experienced Shotgunner

870 Build

Post by codyphillips48 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:13 pm

So I figured I should start a thread other than my intro thread to cover the build. So my plans with this build is pretty simple. I'm going to make my take of the 870 MCS. I’ll call it the 870 CMS (Cody's Modular Shotgun) haha. Why would I want to do something like that its simply because I can. I like the idea of having everything in one case. A grab and go kind of pack. Also please remember I'm in Brasil right now until June 18th. So I cant take any pics. Only pic I can put up is ones my brother sends me. I have a wanted ad up for parts like looking for if your looking to sell parts.

Parts list
1. 870 Receiver $90 shipped with money oredr
2. 870 Police parts kit 189.00 shipping I don't know do to many things ordered
3. Any springs or replacement parts for any broken parts found
4. SOE single point sling 64.00 shipped
5. Form 1 sent in just waiting
6. Top Folding Remington Stock (just for fun) Paid to much for it but $220 shipped
7. 26” or 28” rem Choke Vent Barrel $150 shipped
8. 23” cantilever Rifled Barrel and scope
9. 14” Barrel mod choke
10. 12” breaching barrel (not needed right away or at all lol) $200 shipped
11. +1 +2 Mag tube Ext and springs
12. Chokes
13. Sea horse case. 172.00 shipped with locks
14. Side Saddle Shotgun Cards type (My Prototypes Shotgun cards)
15. Flash light and mount
16. Salvo 12 Suppressor

5/20/16

Image NOS

6/2/2016

6/5/2016

9/10/16

Still waiting in the tax stamp. Put my stamp in 7/11/16. So it might be awhile since the rush to get Stamos in before 7/13/16 when atf rules changed.
But here's some pics of the major or the kit together.

ImageImage

Image out shooting sporting clays with 870 and 11/87. Believe it or not the 11/87 was eating the cheap Wal-Mart Federal Premium low brass target and field loads. We shoot about 400 clays each. It was a long day
Last edited by codyphillips48 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 16 times in total.
870 Owner x2 11/87 Owner x2 ;)
NRA Endowment Life Member
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

BurstBarrel
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: 870 Build

Post by BurstBarrel » Wed May 18, 2016 10:46 pm

That's getting a lot of use out of one receiver but like you said modularity.

Is waterproofing the system a high priority or just so added protection with some parts?
:lol:
NRA Life Member
DIY Gunsmith, Handloader and 870 Owner

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu May 19, 2016 7:36 am

codyphillips48 wrote: Parts list
1. 870 Receiver
2. 870 Police parts kit
3. Any springs or replacement parts for any broken parts found
4. SOE single point sling
5. Form 1
6. Top Folding Remington Stock (just for fun)
7. 26” or 28” rem Choke Vent Barrel
8. 23” cantilever Rifled Barrel and scope
9. 14” Barrel mod choke
10. 12” breaching barrel (not needed right away or at all lol)
11. +1 +2 +3 Mag tube Ext and springs
12. Chokes
13. Pelican Case (prob model 1700)
14. Side Saddle Shotgun Cards type
15. Flash light and mount
16. Salvo 12 Suppressor
Sounds like you've got a good idea of what you want to do. A few suggestions:

Between the 28" & 26" vent-rib barrels, I would personally lean toward the 26" for an all-around sporting barrel length. I have a 28", and while it works well for some things, it's kind of ponderous for others. One of these days, I want to also pick up a 24" or 23" vent-rib barrel for applications where I want the gun to move faster. But if I had to use one barrel for everything, I think a 26" would split the difference pretty well.

If you just go with Rem Choke barrels all-around (having the shorter combat barrels threaded if necessary), you'll be able to use your suppressor, breaching choke, and any other tubes or devices with any configuration.

For the magazine extensions, I would suggest looking at single-piece kits so that you can take them off and switch extensions & barrels quickly & easily without any tools. Also, if you pick a brand that offers all three extension sizes based on the same design, it'll be a lot easier to find a magazine spring & follower setup that'll work reliably in all configurations. Are there any kits in particular that you're looking at?

codyphillips48
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by codyphillips48 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:45 am

BurstBarrel wrote:That's getting a lot of use out of one receiver but like you said modularity.

Is waterproofing the system a high priority or just so added protection with some parts?
Yea I like the idea of being able to just grab and go. Everything in one box ready to roll. Water proofing is not a big priority but Ill take the extra protection (just in case). I think ill be cerakoting all the parts of the kit for added protection. If I don't go that route ill just black park the it all.
Synchronizor wrote: Sounds like you've got a good idea of what you want to do. A few suggestions:

Between the 28" & 26" vent-rib barrels, I would personally lean toward the 26" for an all-around sporting barrel length. I have a 28", and while it works well for some things, it's kind of ponderous for others. One of these days, I want to also pick up a 24" or 23" vent-rib barrel for applications where I want the gun to move faster. But if I had to use one barrel for everything, I think a 26" would split the difference pretty well.

If you just go with Rem Choke barrels all-around (having the shorter combat barrels threaded if necessary), you'll be able to use your suppressor, breaching choke, and any other tubes or devices with any configuration.

For the magazine extensions, I would suggest looking at single-piece kits so that you can take them off and switch extensions & barrels quickly & easily without any tools. Also, if you pick a brand that offers all three extension sizes based on the same design, it'll be a lot easier to find a magazine spring & follower setup that'll work reliably in all configurations. Are there any kits in particular that you're looking at?
I was hoping you would chime in on the subject sync. I was looking a 26" vent barrel last night on gun broker for 125 and I forgot about it. I was thinking more in the 26" barrel over the 28". I was planning on having all the barrels reamed and threaded for rem chokes. I already have a tactical rem choke in the gun safe I was just going to get a few other most useful chokes that I would use like mod, improved cyl, full and probably a skeet choke. I do some hunting with shotguns because lower half of Michigan is shotgun only. That’s the reasoning behind the 23” rifled barrel. I also shoot a lot of trap skeet and sporting clay with the 870. I love going out there with my cheap 300-dollar gun and shooting better than the guys who have their 3k over under hahah. I was thinking of using Wilson combat or Remington mag tube ext. I have a +2 Remington on sitting in the safe now with the spring and clamp. I was thinking if I just got the +3 tube from Remington and a spring I would be set. I also took your advice from you video and printed off a copy of the 870 parts lists. (great idea) I had no idea Remington has 20 some different 12ga chokes haha.

Any other ideas from anyone Ill listen.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

BurstBarrel
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by BurstBarrel » Thu May 19, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm glad to hear you can shoot very well and know that it's not money and gadgets that make a person better, but a solid foundation in the fundamentals is what does.

I think a set of Carlson extended chokes would serve you well the sizes depending on whether both lead and steel are used. I would stay away from having barrels reamed and threaded because of cost and possible alignment issues. There are plenty of 870 barrels for sale new and used. In general the Wingmaster barrels are better to get than the Express, etc.
NRA Life Member

codyphillips48
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by codyphillips48 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:31 pm

BurstBarrel wrote:I'm glad to hear you can shoot very well and know that it's not money and gadgets that make a person better, but a solid foundation in the fundamentals is what does.

I think a set of Carlson extended chokes would serve you well the sizes depending on whether both lead and steel are used. I would stay away from having barrels reamed and threaded because of cost and possible alignment issues. There are plenty of 870 barrels for sale new and used. In general the Wingmaster barrels are better to get than the Express, etc.
When I was growing up we didn't have much and pretty much had to use what we had. Dad has a old wingmasters 870 and a cheap over under 410 and we would buy the cheap bulk ammo and just go out and have fun and a lot of the time do vary well. I've shooting clays since I could hold that little 410 over under. When I started buying my own guns a 870 express was my first shotgun I bought. (my first shot gun was a 11/87 sp that was given to after my grandpa passed)

I haven't looked much into chokes yet. I'm sure that will be something that will change over time and after use ill see what works and don't work.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri May 20, 2016 5:26 am

codyphillips48 wrote:I was thinking of using Wilson combat or Remington mag tube ext. I have a +2 Remington on sitting in the safe now with the spring and clamp. I was thinking if I just got the +3 tube from Remington and a spring I would be set.
Actually, you don't even need a new spring; that's a common part between the Remington +2 & +3 extensions.

The Remington extensions are good kits, but the problem for a highly-configurable setup is that they're fairly involved to install and remove because they consist of several parts, and require that you at least have a screwdriver handy. Also, since they require a bracket to stay in place, they can be picky about barrels. Odds are at least some of the barrels you end up getting won't play nice with the Remington extension bracket (especially the slug barrel, as those often have heavy outer profiles).

Since I also use one receiver and a number of barrels for all my shotgun shooting activities, I've drifted to single-piece extensions because they make everything so much more straightforward. The Wilson Combat kits are a great bang for the buck, but they are only offered in +2 and +1 lengths. You could stick with the Remington +3 tube for when you want that capacity, but be aware that the WC and Remington extensions are intended to use different magazine follower & spring styles (tailed follower & beehive spring for the former, straight spring & cup follower for the latter). Each should run well enough with the other's spring & follower, but you'll see a loss in magazine capacity with the Wilson, and more sluggish spring function in the Remington.

Really, of the three extensions you mention, it sounds like the one you'd use the most would be a +1. It's what'll match your 14" barrel, and the 12" barrel is going to end right at a magazine cap. Then, both the 26" and 23" rifled barrels are for hunting/sporting applications where more than 4+1 shots doesn't do much more than make the gun heavier (though perhaps you like an extended magazine for sporting clays?).

I will say though, having done a fair bit of slug shooting, a steel single-piece +1 can be a nice thing to have installed so that you can load a full box into your magazine rather than keeping one odd shell in the chamber or your pocket; and to add a little extra weight and a place to clamp on accessories. Remind me to post a picture of the short-barreled slug setup I'm trying out with my 870.
codyphillips48 wrote:I haven't looked much into chokes yet. I'm sure that will be something that will change over time and after use ill see what works and don't work.
For chokes, if you have the money, I would reccomend extended chokes simply because the extended knurled ends make them easy to install, tighten, and remove without using a choke wrench; and the extended portion provides room for easy-to-read labels, in case you forget which tube you have in a partictular barrel.
Just for those reasons (I've never felt that my other flush chokes were ever to blame for my misses), the last several chokes I've purchased have been extended ones. No porting or other gimmicks, just plain extended. As for constrictions, a set of Full, Modified, IC, and Cylinder tubes will let you do almost anything. You do already have a Cylinder tube in your breacher choke, but a normal Cylinder choke tube will give the same patterning (or possibly better, as the ports on the breacher choke have been known to mess with some wads) without the extra weight and length when you want your gun to be practical rather than tacti-cool.

codyphillips48
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by codyphillips48 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:16 am

After reading threw your post sync I almost see no reason for a +3 tube because I don't have a 20" barrel and on a 18 it would stick out. All the sporting clay place I should only allow on in the mag and on in the chamber. So a +3 tube is almost pointless. I think the Wilson combat ones are the way I'm prob gonna go with.

Choke wise I'm going to start my research today while I have down time at work haha (which is pretty much all morning). I was looking at the Carlson extended tubes like you were talking about. I was thinking that could be quicker to change on the fly (if needed)

I've been watching a couple of barrel on gun broker that I'm prob going to hit the by now button on today. I searched the internet for prices and were there in stock and if there in stock there 75 plus dollars more then what they are on GB. I'm gonna try to get some more pic of parts today. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

codyphillips48
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by codyphillips48 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:52 am

NEW PHOTOS ON THE OP

BurstBarrel
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by BurstBarrel » Sat May 21, 2016 1:26 am

codyphillips48 wrote:NEW PHOTOS ON THE OP
Awesome, you got the Top Folding Remington Stock and the 12” breaching barrel!
NRA Life Member