Which Tactical Flashlight

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Vitaly
Owner

Re: Which Tactical Flashlight

Post by Vitaly » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:58 am

My review of 3 tactical flashlights: Review of 3 Tactical Flashlights for Your Shotgun

and Elzetta flashlight: Elzetta Tactical Flashlight and Mount Review
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Another thought occurred to me about storing your shotgun in "cruiser safe" condition: If it's dark and you need it fast, you'll give away both your location and state of readiness when you pump a round into the chamber. Rather than being intimidated by the sound, an armed, proactive intruder will open fire in your direction. Keeping a round chambered gives you a little more stealth if you need it.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:56 am

There isn't really much of a stealth advantage, you can chamber a shell in an 870 very quietly if you know how. It takes a few seconds more than just slamming the slide back and forth, but if you're in that much of a hurry, stealth probably isn't a concern.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Everybody's needs or personal preferences are definitely a little different. With that said and going by how you said you want your HD Shotgun to be most useful; id go with one that has a momentary and full on capability. Strobe function, and different light settings would just make things slower if you need to grab your gun and "turn the damn thing on"..lol. Just my opinion, good luck.
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

SpdFrk
New Shotgunner

Post by SpdFrk » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:57 pm

I am also looking to add a tactical light to my Express Synthetic 7-Round (25077) with the Magpul MOE fore-end. I really like the clean look of the CDM Mod-C clamp and the Fab Defense 3V. However, I am thinking about the new 6V (590 lumens). I have search but did not get much on this particular setup. Do you think this light is too long for my 18.5" barrel with the Magpul MOE fore-end? I still have about the length of an iPhone 5 between the tip of the barrel and the fore-end. Thank you in advance for your input.

Love this clean look:

But with the output (590 lumens) of this longer light instead:

If that's too long, then I can settle for the G2 3V (378 lumens):
12-GA Express Synthetic 7-Round (25077)

Mods:
non-MIM Extractor | SS Follower | Heavy Magazine/Sear/Carrier Latch Springs | Jumbo Head Safety | MOE Forend/SGA Stock w/ Rec Sling Mount | Mesa Tactical 6-Shell Saddle

Future Mods:
Light/Mount

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:43 am

I have one of the G2 3V lights on order, but have not laid hands on the G2 6V. I might prefer the 6V because it is longer but will have to wait until I have tried them both. I have short arms and it might be easier for my thumb to reach the button with the longer model. Most of the walls in my house are painted beige or white. The reflection of a powerful light off a white wall can ruin my night vision. Plus there is the fact that lights always draw immediate fire in simulators. I'm starting to think some kind of passive night vision device would be preferable. Low-light work can be very tricky when you are getting older and the cataracts are starting to dim your vision.

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:23 pm

For Tac lights, I've ended up only offering the offerings by Elzetta in my store. My preferred light is their 1-cell Flood. It's 315 Lumens. You can get brighter lights, but I have a couple of issues. First of all, brighter lights tend to be heavier. Also, lights brighter than around 300 Lumens can kind of "wash out" against light colored walls. There's a video on Elzetta's website where they turn on a light, then proceed to use it to drive a nail into two 2x4s. Its literally tougher than nails.
Good luck,
Brad

hector.jacob
Shotgunner

Post by hector.jacob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:34 am

at the end of the day its not something you are going to use everyday... check out the convoy S2 line or the ultrafire Wb/f 501/502 flashlights, 800+ lumens, cree xm-l2 leds, any range in the color .... yellow ,white, blueish, and the go for 15-20 dollars, just get a nice 18650 rechargable battery and charger, medium output should give you 5-6 hours of light...in a single charge...so thats more then enough...
any of those flashlight or similar with the LMT clamp..is a big plus...you can get a reliable setup with no more than 70-80 dollars invested...no need to pay 100+$ for 200 lumens..its a waste...if you need a light its because you need good visibility...do a search of 800 lumens creed flashlights vs 300 lumens...pictures side by side...you will understand...do the things right , on the first try...

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:40 am

The problem with those lose super cheap lights is that they typically don't stand up well to recoil. What good is a light if it fails when you need it most?

hector.jacob wrote:at the end of the day its not something you are going to use everyday... check out the convoy S2 line or the ultrafire Wb/f 501/502 flashlights, 800+ lumens, cree xm-l2 leds, any range in the color .... yellow ,white, blueish, and the go for 15-20 dollars, just get a nice 18650 rechargable battery and charger, medium output should give you 5-6 hours of light...in a single charge...so thats more then enough...
any of those flashlight or similar with the LMT clamp..is a big plus...you can get a reliable setup with no more than 70-80 dollars invested...no need to pay 100+$ for 200 lumens..its a waste...if you need a light its because you need good visibility...do a search of 800 lumens creed flashlights vs 300 lumens...pictures side by side...you will understand...do the things right , on the first try...

hector.jacob
Shotgunner

Post by hector.jacob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:42 pm

UltimateGuns wrote:The problem with those lose super cheap lights is that they typically don't stand up well to recoil. What good is a light if it fails when you need it most?

lets not derailed the OP post, i have 4 years with a convoy light, and a Xindtd type C8, 0 problems, mud, water, etc, no problem, did you have one and it failed?
check out budgetlightforums, you'll learn more about lights, you will see who the manufacturers are and from what factory these lights come from...
its not that hard to understand, its like car manufacturers, toyota and the luxury line is lexus...its the same factories for fenix, nitecore, Olight, thrunite) , these chinese/taiwan factories just sell the same models under other brands, crelant, klarus, etc... but its better to speak with experience, than to defend your seller position... if you take time and do your research, you will find a nice light, waterproof, shock proff, without braking your pocket...
either way I,m going to rephrase it....if your on a budget, check out the budget flash light lines at budgetlightforum , not a bad option, all that has been said in the post all are nice options, just giving the budget one...