My Nordic extension doesn't hold 7+1 like others do...

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
tpattgeek
New Shotgunner

My Nordic extension doesn't hold 7+1 like others do...

Post by tpattgeek » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 am

Today, I installed my Nordic extension, CDM clamp, and Hogue short stock. Everything is awesome, and I was hoping to get 7 rounds in the magazine now like many others have said (I bought the XL end cap for the extension) but it's only holding 6. Yes, I drilled out the dimples completely, but I did only cut the spring to 16" remaining out of the extension. Do I need to cut more? Should I just leave as-is and be happy with 6+1. I'd like to squeeze another in there, but not it if means it'll be less reliable.

Also, when shooting the other day, before I installed all this stuff, while still having a bone stock gun, I noticed it's not ejecting very strong. About 1 in 10 rounds will "stovepipe" and sit in the ejection port. It'll knock it out as the bolt closes, but I thought it was supposed to shoot out pretty swiftly... Do I need to bend the extractor a little or something? I've ready about several people having a similar issue. I was pulling the action as briskly as I could so it wasn't my lack of force... any ideas about all of this are appreciated. Thanks!

Vitaly
Owner

Re: My Nordic extension doesn't hold 7+1 like others do...

Post by Vitaly » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:34 am

tpattgeek wrote:Today, I installed my Nordic extension, CDM clamp, and Hogue short stock. Everything is awesome, and I was hoping to get 7 rounds in the magazine now like many others have said (I bought the XL end cap for the extension) but it's only holding 6. Yes, I drilled out the dimples completely, but I did only cut the spring to 16" remaining out of the extension. Do I need to cut more? Should I just leave as-is and be happy with 6+1. I'd like to squeeze another in there, but not it if means it'll be less reliable.
tpattgeek, got photos? Tell us which extension have you got exactly? I have +3 extension and it works properly. I have cut the spring but not much.
tpattgeek wrote:Also, when shooting the other day, before I installed all this stuff, while still having a bone stock gun, I noticed it's not ejecting very strong. About 1 in 10 rounds will "stovepipe" and sit in the ejection port. It'll knock it out as the bolt closes, but I thought it was supposed to shoot out pretty swiftly... Do I need to bend the extractor a little or something? I've ready about several people having a similar issue. I was pulling the action as briskly as I could so it wasn't my lack of force... any ideas about all of this are appreciated. Thanks!
It may help replacing standard extractor with a non-MIM one.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:21 am

It sounds like its extracting fine but you are having ejection problems. Is this by chance when you are shooting rapid fire? I have seen many guys short stroking the slide and not getting full effect of the extractor. Make sure you are coming all the way back. If you are indeed using the full length of the stroke, you may need the ejector tuned or replaced.

tpattgeek
New Shotgunner

Post by tpattgeek » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Here's some pics of the Nordic Components teflon-coated aluminum follower I received today along with the +2 extension and extra long end cap I installed yesterday :)

My issues are no longer extraction related. My local gunsmith honed and polished my chamber under warranty and it extracts everything I feed it now. However, it's still stove-piping some rounds, and the ones it doesn't, they just drop out of the receiver like they were just flicked. If there's something I can do to the ejector to make it function better, I'm all ears.
Attachments
P1100022.jpg
P1100022.jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (14.92 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (41.19 KiB) Viewed 5618 times

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:13 pm

What extractor do you have? MIM or non-MIM?

Here are some pics which show differences:

http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun