Tampons for bore cleaning?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
gen2tegboi
New Shotgunner

Tampons for bore cleaning?

Post by gen2tegboi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:40 am

Ok guys, I bought an 870 express 12 gauge on Saturday. I took it apart for a good cleaning and lubing before shooting it tomorrow (or today lol, its 2:28 am) I noticed it took a lot of patches to clean the barrel, I also felt the patches didn't provide good contact with the bore. I was using the patches that came with the Remington shotgun cleaning kit.

While I was searching amazon for shotgun 12 gauge patches, I noticed a review on one of the products stating that tampon were much more effective than patches. I did some research and found this http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu9.htm

Though, I won't be using wd40 anywhere on my guns. I am really interested in using tampons. Easier to find and I am guessing it can be relatively cheap, since I read that it only takes one or two for cleaning the shotgun compared to at least 50 patches I used today. I found it weird that my barrel was that dirty just from one or a few testing rounds from factory.

Anyways, does anybody have any experience with tampons to clean our 12 gauge shotguns?

Also for some humor, insert joke here [Funny].......[funny]

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Tampons for bore cleaning?

Post by Vitaly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 am

gen2tegboi wrote:Ok guys, I bought an 870 express 12 gauge on Saturday. I took it apart for a good cleaning and lubing before shooting it tomorrow (or today lol, its 2:28 am) I noticed it took a lot of patches to clean the barrel, I also felt the patches didn't provide good contact with the bore. I was using the patches that came with the Remington shotgun cleaning kit.

While I was searching amazon for shotgun 12 gauge patches, I noticed a review on one of the products stating that tampon were much more effective than patches. I did some research and found this http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu9.htm

Though, I won't be using wd40 anywhere on my guns. I am really interested in using tampons. Easier to find and I am guessing it can be relatively cheap, since I read that it only takes one or two for cleaning the shotgun compared to at least 50 patches I used today. I found it weird that my barrel was that dirty just from one or a few testing rounds from factory.

Anyways, does anybody have any experience with tampons to clean our 12 gauge shotguns?

Also for some humor, insert joke here [Funny].......[funny]
en2tegboi, I know that VFG felt pellets are very good for this purpose. Also, I use specialized Gunnex, Brunnex or Ballistol gun oil to clean my shotgun. Also, I think that spiral bore brush is the best to clean the lead fouling:

http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:16 pm

They are some of the most absorbent items out there, remember that they were made for absorbing blood clear back in the WW1. And not a bad thing to have in your first aid kit! And yes I have used them to clean my 870!

gen2tegboi
New Shotgunner

Post by gen2tegboi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 am

gypsydan41 wrote:They are some of the most absorbent items out there, remember that they were made for absorbing blood clear back in the WW1. And not a bad thing to have in your first aid kit! And yes I have used them to clean my 870!
I cleaned the bore with a total of two tampons, and that was overkill. two swipes with one tampon was more than enough. I also used another one to lube with the rem-oil. great bore contact, way better than using the patches IMO. So glad I found this while reading a review on shotgun patches in amazon. easy to find at walmart compared to cotton patches, and really effective. It also leave little or no lint behind.

I shot some OO buckshot at the range (indoor), and looking forward to doing some sporting clays this weekend.

PRegner
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by PRegner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:41 pm

I don't know about tampons, but in my experience nothing works better than a bronze 12 gauge bore brush wrapped with a patch and soaked in "Ed's Red".

For those that don't know about Ed's Red, it's not a commercially produced product. It's a modern adaptation of Frankford Arsenal Cleaner #18, that substitutes equivelent modern materials. The original recipe for Frankfords Arsenal Cleaner #18 was equal parts of kerosene, terpintine, acetone and sperm whale oil. Optionally, a small amount of lanoline can be melted and included for added protection of weapons set aside for long-term storage.

For Ed's Red, just mix equal portions (by volume) of K-1 kerosene (the type used in space heaters and sold at any hardware store), acetone (available at any hardware store), terpintine (or mineral spirits), and Dexron III automatic transmission fluid.

Apparently, up until the late fifties and early sixties automatic transmission fluid was based on whale oil. In addition to being an excellent replacement that doesn't kill whales, the Dexron III also contains detergents and other surfactants that make it a good choice for use in the cleaning and lubrication of firearms. The lanoline option can also be exercised in the Ed's Red recipe for use on firearms being prepared for long term storage.

Anyway, two passed with Ed's Red makes the bore and chamber of my shotgun gleam as if it were new. I think that a tampon would make an excellent bore mop though; in as much as once they've (the bore mop) been used a few times, they have to either be cleaned or discarded (to prevent dragging old grime through a clean barrel).
Blaming a death on a firearm is like blaming a mis-spelled word on a pencil.

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:22 pm

That recepit you got sounds alot like penatrating oil?

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:22 pm

gypsydan41 wrote:That recepit you got sounds alot like penatrating oil?

PRegner
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by PRegner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 am

The only different ingredient from the original Frankford Arsenal Cleaner recipe is the substitution of Dexron III for the whale oil. If it is basically penetrating oil it's fine by me. All I know is it works, and I use it on all of my firearms. Just the cost savings alone sold me on it ($10 for about 8 ounces of Hoppes #9, versus the $20 it takes me to mix-up a gallon of Ed's Red). :)
Blaming a death on a firearm is like blaming a mis-spelled word on a pencil.

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:02 pm

If it's not broken, don't fix it right? I have all kinds of shop machinery that use these type of products. It's awsome when you actually find something that works, and still maintain's cost effectiveness huh? Hell I even use diapers for gun cleaning,spraying off parts with cleaners etc...

RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RandyWag » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 am

gypsydan41 wrote:They are some of the most absorbent items out there, remember that they were made for absorbing blood clear back in the WW1. And not a bad thing to have in your first aid kit! And yes I have used them to clean my 870!

thats awsome and i cant see why they wouldnt be useful for the 870, Im gonna check them out and see whats up
If you break into my house, be quiet, or ill wake up and unload on you.