Favorite Turkey Load and Choke

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Favorite Turkey Load and Choke

Post by Hntbambi » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:50 pm

It's that time here in the USA when the turkeys are gobbling and looking to mate. What is your favorite turkey setup?

My favorite combination is Nitro Company Hevi-Shot triplex load of 4x5x7 and shot through a 0.660" Rhino Choke. This combo is lethal on turkeys to 75 yards. I still call them in as close as possible, but when they hang up at 60 yards, they are as good as dead.

Nitro Company makes superb ammo. It is very expensive though. I bought a box of 25 about 10 years ago. It will last me another 5 years. I have nto tried the Mega-Weight loads yet. Maybe once I use up all of my Hevi-Shot loads.

Turkey010
New Shotgunner

Re: Favorite Turkey Load and Choke

Post by Turkey010 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:52 pm

My favourite load is the winchester 3" 2 oz copper coated turkey load

Used to use an undertaker choke but recently picked up the Rem Turkey choke and it patterns much better with the above shell at 25 yds 22 pellets in the neck and head

blgoode
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by blgoode » Sun May 05, 2013 2:19 am

I dont have a turkey barrel as of yet for my 870 but I do have a Indian Creek choke for my TC Encore barrel. I have not pattered it yet but I really hope it does a good job tightening up my 30 yard pattern for that barrel.

With my stock Encore turkey choke .060 it liked 3" #5 shot Remington Nitros best.

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:02 pm

I use a Hevi-Shot Choke with Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend 3" shells, best pattern I have ever seen, I feel confident shooting at 50 yrds if a turkey holds up

sledge
New Shotgunner

Post by sledge » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:00 am

I notice everyone here is using either an extra-full or a specific "turkey choke"... Anything wrong with using a full choke and a box of Remington Nitro-Turkeys?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:09 pm

Take it to the range, and see how that combo patterns at the distances you expect to shoot at. Suggestions & recommendations can be a good starting point, but if you want to do things right, you really need to do your own pattern testing out of your own gun at some point.