Bolt&Carrier Jammed in Receiver

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
dtm4655

Bolt&Carrier Jammed in Receiver

Post by dtm4655 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:21 pm

I have a Remington 870 Tactical and one of my friends was trying to take it apart and show me how to clean it when he was taking it apart (obviously he didn't know what he was doing) the bolt and carrier came apart and became lodged coming out of the receiver.... I will attach a picture but is there any way to fix this issue.. I can't for the life of me find anything to help me out with it!
Attachments
IMG_3659-2.jpg
IMG_3659-2.jpg (94.17 KiB) Viewed 3741 times

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Bolt&Carrier Jammed in Receiver

Post by gWebber » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:27 pm

dtm4655 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:21 pm
I have a Remington 870 Tactical and one of my friends was trying to take it apart and show me how to clean it when he was taking it apart (obviously he didn't know what he was doing) the bolt and carrier came apart and became lodged coming out of the receiver.... I will attach a picture but is there any way to fix this issue.. I can't for the life of me find anything to help me out with it!
Wow, that’s a winner. My thinking is you need to tap the carrier back while tapping (Or pushing) the bolt forward at the exact same time until the carrier is back under the bolt WITHOUT wedging it in any tighter.

Another possible way to get it loose is to smack your “friend” in the head with the gun butt.

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:33 pm

dtm4655 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:21 pm

A more detail thought on how to fix this Is ..

Put the handle of a screwdriver in the port and hold and use the shank to have the (plastic or wood) handle lever the bold forward with light pressure, while using another tool (small tack hammer) to tap the carrier back under

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:03 am

I think this is a two-step process. First, get new friends who know what they're doing. Then remove the forend so the rails aren't sticking into the bolt-carrier area if at all possible. Then I think it should all drop out.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 am

I wonder how this turned out .. still stuck, got it out, went to gun smith and died of embarrassment?

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:24 pm

gWebber wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 am
I wonder how this turned out .. still stuck, got it out, went to gun smith and died of embarrassment?
Its typical of these forums where folks stop by for help and never follow-up. Eventually dealing with them gets old, unless you have that "want to help" mentality.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

BKinzey
Senior Shotgunner

Post by BKinzey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:30 pm

Some of it can be embarrassment, some they don't know, just giggled it and it popped loose, but it happens enough that assholi-mentation is definitely a factor. :( :x :roll:

Oh well, sometimes we learn something, sometimes it's "Who was that masked man?" :ugeek:

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Precisely why I departed the last forum I moderated because after 12-14 years I got tired of the same question, asked once and then the newbie disappears. We had a policy NOT to say "go use the search function (expletive deleted) because that question has been asked 2,781 times" but by the end, that's all that welled up inside you at times. I let my buddy take it apart = asking for a friend = I don't wanna appear to be a bozo.... Just man-up. I've made more mistakes than my share, I'll tell you when I was wrong, and I'll also tell you what I learned.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:39 am

I talked to a long time gunner at a Trap Range I was checking out and he mentioned there was a big influx of newbies (myself included) to shotguns and their other ranges.

My first thought was I’m reasonably mechanically inclined , but I’d bet many of these newbies aren’t. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see more interesting screw up jams at some point.

Just a side note, people don’t always know how to search in forums, especially if they don’t know the terminology to search for.