870 SPS Super Mag Turkey Predator with Scope

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
tonynco

870 SPS Super Mag Turkey Predator with Scope

Post by tonynco » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 pm

Noob here

I am wanting an all around 12 g pump. With capacity for 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 shells.

I assume the 870 SPS Super Mag Turkey Predator with Scope choke is removable, and interchangeable.
My wish list is to be able to use the same barrel for both slugs and shot. Does the above suit this usage? I don't have a shotgun. However, I do have a handgun. Learning about shotguns. From what I know, please correct me if I am wrong, it is a smooth bore with a factory installed choke. Is this choke suitable for rifled slugs. If not, they just screw out?

I am not looking for a long barreled item. The barrel is short enough for home defense, and easy storage, camping trips, etc...

However, if there is a better 870 option, I have not ran across it. I like the sight set up from the factory. Rail etc...

mikelee8815
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: 870 SPS Super Mag Turkey Predator with Scope

Post by mikelee8815 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:51 pm

Personally if I was getting an all around shotgun, I wouldnt get one with the SPS stock. I would want one with a regular stock. A dedicated turkey/slug gun, the sps stock is great, but for any bird shooting it's not the greatest. I believe the sps turkey does use interchangeable chokes so if you throw in a cylinder bore or improved cylinder, you can shoot rifled slugs for sure. I'm not 100% on the choke tubes being removable but it does come with a extended turkey choke so I'd assume they are.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

tonynco

Post by tonynco » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:00 am

Thx, I have mixed feelings about the stock as well. I really like the rail and scope. I truly don't know much about all the mods possible. I was also considering the MODEL 870 EXPRESS SUPER MAGNUM as well. It can use all 3 size shells.

Ultimately I would want it to have some type of night sight, and rail mounted scope. Flashlight mounted with a pressure switch activated with grip. And mag extension.

I have found the some of the factory parts could use upgrading from plastic to be more reliable. Etc.

Is the Super Magnum a good candidate for upgrading with the items above on my list?

Thanks for all the help btw, guns stores are rather empty these days. Hard to find choices to compare in person.

tonynco

Post by tonynco » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:36 pm

tonynco wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:00 am
Thx, I have mixed feelings about the stock as well. I really like the rail and scope. I truly don't know much about all the mods possible. I was also considering the MODEL 870 EXPRESS SUPER MAGNUM as well. It can use all 3 size shells.

Ultimately I would want it to have some type of night sight, and rail mounted scope. Flashlight mounted with a pressure switch activated with grip. And mag extension.

I have found the some of the factory parts could use upgrading from plastic to be more reliable. Etc.

Is the Super Magnum a good candidate for upgrading with the items above on my list?

Thanks for all the help btw, guns stores are rather empty these days. Hard to find choices to compare in person.

Anyone?

mikelee8815
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by mikelee8815 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:54 pm

For an all around shotgun with the accessories you want, I'd get the super mag over the sps. A lot more versatile with the regular stock over the sps stock set

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk