How many to have in the magazine tube while stored

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
CJRDela

How many to have in the magazine tube while stored

Post by CJRDela » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:22 pm

When I store my home defense shotgun (in a secured location of course) I've heard that the magazine tube should not be completely full. i.e. mine holds 4 - so should I only keep 3 in it to prevent the spring from being fully compressed over extended periods of time? Is there really a risk of some sort of spring failure by keeping it fully compressed?

Thanks

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Re: How many to have in the magazine tube while stored

Post by TexasArmor84 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:32 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.luckyg ... otgun/amp/

This is a good article for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BKinzey
Senior Shotgunner

Post by BKinzey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:33 pm

That is a good article. I think Lucky Gunner puts out some great stuff.

But I disagree with his load suggestion. :shock: :shock: Brave Key-Bored Commando I am! :lol: :lol:

First, I've read plenty of times that a proper spring doesn't wear out by being kept compressed. They wear out by the repetition of being compressed and uncompressed. So a stored fully loaded magazine should be fine.

Second, a major drawback to a shotgun is the number of rounds. I'm already following the "cruizer ready" suggestion of empty chamber, I don't want to lose another round for a HD scenario.

Third, if you are worried, pull the spring every 6 months and measure it to see if there is any loss. Or just replace it every year, maybe every 5-10 years.

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Just a newbie thought on this.
If you have a four round mag (Like me), but you’re worried about extended time spring compression, but you don’t want to load only 3 rounds ....

Why not put on a Plus 1 tube extension for a total of five , then load only four. Now you have four rounds AND less spring compression as well.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:22 pm

I keep one of my 870's loaded for bear defense, as there are many in this area. 3 rounds in the mag tube, chamber open so the shotgun can't go off if it falls over. A simple racking and boo-boo can be dealt with. I see these HD shotguns with 6-round mag tubes and 10-round side-saddle carriers and I wonder what somebody's house would look like after an encounter inside that needed that kind of response. What's your threat scenario? A war zone?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:43 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:22 pm
What's your threat scenario? A war zone?
ZOMBIES ! It’s 2020, man .. it’ll be Zombies for sure.
😂😂😂😂

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:22 pm

I see these HD shotguns with 6-round mag tubes and 10-round side-saddle carriers and I wonder what somebody's house would look like after an encounter inside that needed that kind of response. What's your threat scenario? A war zone?
I am sure my dogs would be on them before i knew anyone was in the house.
Simple, don’t shoot at shadows or noise, only confirmed targets.
My HD gun has a seven rd cap with no side-saddle, if I wake and find Seal team six in my house i have more problems than i can deal with a simple shotgun.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Blackrock
Shotgunner

Post by Blackrock » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:25 pm

I never worry about leaving my shotguns loaded. Although I download one round. I do buy new mag. springs EVERY YEAR. Cheap for the peace of mind I have.

Just My Dos Centavos.

Black Rock

Blackrock
Shotgunner

Post by Blackrock » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:26 pm

I never worry about leaving my shotguns loaded. Although I download one round. I do buy new mag. springs EVERY YEAR. Cheap for the peace of mind I have.

Just My Dos Centavos.

Black Rock

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:28 am

I thought about this for a while as I only had a 4 round tube on my Wingmaster. I kept thinking , while I’m not in a War Zone , if I have it Cruiser Ready and short load it I’ll only have 3 rounds.

My final solution was a Plus 3 tube add on, so now I can short load, be cruiser ready and still have 6 rounds.

I figured for Home Defense, if it ain’t dead after six rounds ... I had no chance to start with.