Modifying 870 DM Magazine to Fit Additional Round

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Gixxer

Modifying 870 DM Magazine to Fit Additional Round

Post by Gixxer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Hello All -- many of you are aware, especially owners of the 870 DM, that the magazines are just about impossible to find. I have very little faith they'll ever come back into production, especially with the recent news of Remington's bankruptcy.

So I decided to tinker around and modify my 6 rd magazine to hold 7 rds. It is no replacement for not having additional mags, but it at least helps a bit.

If anyone is interested here is the video I posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5m7rFXuuC4

Also -- if anyone has ever tried welding the top half of a magazine onto a different brand lower half, and had success, let me know. That may be my next project, I'd like to fabricate a 20rd mag if possible. I may need to bite the bullet and buy a 3rd magazine for like $180 on eBay and cut that one apart and spare my 6rd mag from the angle grinder.

devrep
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Modifying 870 DM Magazine to Fit Additional Round

Post by devrep » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:47 pm

so you can't get anymore and you're going to risk effin up yours?

Gixxer

Re: Modifying 870 DM Magazine to Fit Additional Round

Post by Gixxer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 pm

devrep wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:47 pm
so you can't get anymore and you're going to risk effin up yours?
I already successfully modified it. Not effed up even in the least bit either, now I can hold 7 rounds rather than 6.

And like I said in the original post, I want to buy a cheaper 3rd mag and use that to do some fabrication work with.