HD Barrel

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
action
New Shotgunner

HD Barrel

Post by action » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:15 am

Been playing with my 870 for awhile but never got to serious....well now I want to get it finished but need a barrel. Just wondering what a used Remington 18.5 barrel is worth? Pretty sure I want a Remington barrel.
Thanks
Jack

Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Re: HD Barrel

Post by Romulus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:07 am

Depends on types and condition...bead or rifle sight; chamber; finish...etc
I got a parkerized rifle sight, fixed imp cyl choke, excellent condition, from a forum member (different forum) for about 90 bucks. Deals are out there. A new one will run you 150-200. If you want recommendations where to order PM me.
Rom

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:56 pm

They are sold out right now, but I got a great deal similar to this (https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/90335) on a slug barrel for one of my 870's. Not sure you have to stick to Remington-only, unless you value brand. Mossberg makes a great barrel too.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

action
New Shotgunner

Post by action » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks everyone.....another ? how about cutting the stock barrel? it is a 1989 870 express so no real value there. I have other shotguns for hunting/clays. If a person was to cut stock barrel any idea what kind of pattern to expect ?
Thanks for everyones help.
Jack

Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Romulus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 pm

Hard to say, for one: how's the barrel going to be cut? Hacksaw then a file job? Or cut and crowned? You'll end up with fixed cylinder bore but to predict pattern depends several variables.
Rom

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Unless you live in the Taj Mahal Cylinder bore will work just fine for home Defense. At across a room distance the worst shooting barrel will still pattern about the size of a man’s fist.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

action
New Shotgunner

Post by action » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:21 pm

Thanks again.....Hacksaw sounds like work.....lol......I was thinking about a cut off wheel...Im pretty good with 1 and then maybe trying to crown it.....
Im thinking if someone can do it I can....I have the tools......just kind of wondering what people thought?
Thanks
Jack

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:31 am

A hacksaw will make short work of it. Wrap a couple wraps of masking tape at the cutting point and carefully follow the edge if the tape to keep the cut straight. A good mill bastard file will clean the saw cut up very nicely, then a little cold bluing to blend the fresh cut back to the coloring of the barrel.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:57 pm

action wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:01 pm
If a person was to cut stock barrel any idea what kind of pattern to expect ?
Patterning will change with every load, every different wad used, and most powders. You need to find the load you'll use, and go to the patterning board "for THAT load". Every load will change, and the same load in your shotgun and mine may pattern differently. Most likely will.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

action
New Shotgunner

Post by action » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks....