Ammo for 1950s Wingmasters

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
ReconJJ
New Shotgunner

Ammo for 1950s Wingmasters

Post by ReconJJ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 pm

Hello All , with my recently acquired 870s , .12ga , Im gonna shoot clays , what shells should I use . I want the best not the cheapest . Thanks , John

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Ammo for 1950s Wingmasters

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:37 am

ReconJJ wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 pm
Im gonna shoot clays , what shells should I use . I want the best not the cheapest.
The "best" is what patterns the best in your shotgun, which is different for every shotgun just like every rifle. Until you're able to get to a patterning board to try out some loads (and do some research on the proper method of "patterning") I'd suggest you go with GOOD or BETTER on the GOOD-BETTER-BEST scale. No need to waste money, (especially until you can hit something) as there are plenty of good loads out there at reasonable prices. Remington Gun Clubs are immensely popular, as are Federal Top Guns and both can be had around $5.99-$6.99/box, whereas Remington STS Nitros will go for around $10.99/box. I personally shoot Aguila Competition or Federal Top Guns, and Gun Clubs when my LGS has them. If you're a Winchester fan, their white box is cheaper than the black box stuff, but am unfamiliar with the brand names.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Ammo for 1950s Wingmasters

Post by Germansheperd » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 pm

Winchester black box “XX”.