Side Saddle and Accessories for 870 DM

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
blakem

Side Saddle and Accessories for 870 DM

Post by blakem » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:29 am

I have been looking at getting a shotgun for the home defense role and have narrowed in on the 870. I noticed that the 870 DM model, which just recently came out, has been on sale in many stores at a lower price than the traditional tube magazine versions. I am hesitant to purchase it however since it looks like most aftermarket accessories, such as side saddles, mount to the screws on the side of the receiver. The magwell of the 870 DM already utilizes one of the screws where it attaches so I am assuming none of these older accessories will work with the new shotgun, correct?

I know I could just carry an extra magazine but it would be nice to have a few extra shells on the reciever to load direct in the ejection port if needed. I guess I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with the new detachable magazine version.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Side Saddle and Accessories for 870 DM

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:34 pm

blakem wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:29 am
I know I could just carry an extra magazine but it would be nice to have a few extra shells on the reciever to load direct in the ejection port if needed.
How big is your house? You have a 6 round magazine that will devastate anything inside a normal-sized house, and usually 1 or 2 shots with racking noises is enough to send everyone but the most hardened Columbian drug cartels fleeing. You think you'll need more than 6 shots? Are you expecting a home invasion by 20 thugs? Perhaps the EasyFeed buttstock that holds several rounds would be an option but I'd be concerned that you think WWIII is going to occur inside the house.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

jakebrake
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jakebrake » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:34 pm
blakem wrote:
I know I could just carry an extra magazine but it would be nice to have a few extra shells on the reciever to load direct in the ejection port if needed.
How big is your house? You have a 6 round magazine that will devastate anything inside a normal-sized house, and usually 1 or 2 shots with racking noises is enough to send everyone but the most hardened Columbian drug cartels fleeing. You think you'll need more than 6 shots? Are you expecting a home invasion by 20 thugs? Perhaps the EasyFeed buttstock that holds several rounds would be an option but I'd be concerned that you think WWIII is going to occur inside the house.

pretty much. bear in mind also, that if You ever use this in a defensive situation, depending on the state or commonwealth You live in, You may have to explain why exactly You were loaded for the Armageddon.....in front of a prosecutor who really really wants You to look like a maniac, to further his career and/or agenda.

besides, I have little to no doubt that magpul, mission first, and troy are already working on a higher capacity magazine for the dm and the 590m

blakem

Post by blakem » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:58 pm

jakebrake wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 pm
Scorpion8 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:34 pm
blakem wrote:

pretty much. bear in mind also, that if You ever use this in a defensive situation, depending on the state or commonwealth You live in, You may have to explain why exactly You were loaded for the Armageddon.....in front of a prosecutor who really really wants You to look like a maniac, to further his career and/or agenda.

besides, I have little to no doubt that magpul, mission first, and troy are already working on a higher capacity magazine for the dm and the 590m
Of course I would prepare for the worst scenario of a gang of criminals. I believe a 10 round magazine would be good. So if I were buying a new shotgun would you recommend the DM version? It is the most inexpensive option at the moment. I would rather have a single magazine than use a side saddle anyway.

Thankfully I live in a fairly conservative state as far as gun laws but I dont know if that really matters when it comes to using in a defensive situation.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:11 am

blakem wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:58 pm
Of course I would prepare for the worst scenario of a gang of criminals.
There's another option to carrying all that ammo. You can buy extra magazines, load them, and strategically hide them around the house, especially if you've planned the action route that you would take upon hearing a noise, starting from the room the shotgun is stored in. E.g. move down the hall, turn left, grab reload stuck up under end table if needed, proceed down hallway, clear living room, grab reload stuck under <fill in here>, continue moving....

The trouble is knowing what room you'll start in. My plan involves several identical guns stored in different rooms so one is always within easy reach, and all have the same function, fit, feel, and muscle memory so there's no confusion.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:20 pm

I’d never buy an 870 DM. If you look at the construction you can’t run a side saddle and options are limited.
FBI statistics say in an average of gunfights 4 shots are exchanged.
Buy a 6+1 or 7+1 870 set it up correctly with proper accessories, keep it “cruiser ready” and you should be fine. 6 in the tube and 6 on the side is a very bad dude.
John Wick is just a movie. Remember with “just” 6 shots you have 33% more shots than the average gunfight.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:52 am

Germansheperd wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:20 pm
Buy a 6+1 or 7+1 870 set it up correctly with proper accessories, keep it “cruiser ready” and ...
My only complaint there is trying to maneuver that long barrel down hallways in a typical home. The length makes it too easy for a perp to brush the barrel aside in close quarters. Mossberg Shockwave?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Malicious Compliance
New Shotgunner

Post by Malicious Compliance » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 am

Scorpion8 wrote:Mossberg Shockwave?
Or maybe one of these?ImageImage

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:50 pm

Malicious Compliance wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 am
Or maybe one of these?
Does not give OP the round capacity that he is looking for. The Shockwave uses an external magazine.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:52 am
Germansheperd wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:20 pm
Buy a 6+1 or 7+1 870 set it up correctly with proper accessories, keep it “cruiser ready” and ...
My only complaint there is trying to maneuver that long barrel down hallways in a typical home. The length makes it too easy for a perp to brush the barrel aside in close quarters. Mossberg Shockwave?
I dunno the 18.5” 6+1 is and has been the gold standard for a long time. They are Compact/maneuverable. If need be you could get a 12 or 13” stock but i have longer arms so thats not an issue for me.
I’m not a fan of the Tac-14 or Shockwaves personally my thought is if you want that just get a handgun.
I’m really not of the Mossberg persuasion but I do have this old guy:
Attachments
980656B6-5595-4BB8-AD29-32C7BD895AFE.jpeg
980656B6-5595-4BB8-AD29-32C7BD895AFE.jpeg (281.43 KiB) Viewed 2768918 times