870 trigger won't reset after side saddle install

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
DBS

870 trigger won't reset after side saddle install

Post by DBS » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:29 am

So I put a new Mesa Tactical side saddle on my Remington 870, and now the trigger is dead.

It's something to do with the forward trigger pin. With that out, the gun cycles properly. With the Mesa pin in, the trigger is dead.

I'll give Mesa a call, but any ideas in the interim?

Malicious Compliance
New Shotgunner

Re: 870 trigger won't reset after side saddle install

Post by Malicious Compliance » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Doesn't Mesa use a pair of male/female threaded pins? Does it make a difference how tightly the screw is torqued or does the mere presence of the pin cause the failure?

DBS

Post by DBS » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi MC! Great to find you here.

Yes, your memory of how the Mesa pins work is correct (if I recall, you have one on your 870).

The trigger group works properly when it is inserted into the receiver without pinning. But the mere presence of that forward trigger pin throws a wrench in the works. Doesn't even matter if it's tightened down or not.

Malicious Compliance
New Shotgunner

Post by Malicious Compliance » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:43 am

Was thinking that was you! I'm actually in your old haunts for the weekend, so my 870's are about 100 miles away (just picked up a Tac-14, finally set up, need to run it yet!). If you don't come up with an answer by Monday-Tuesday, I'll do a little digging when I get home.

Is that pin the one that requires a sleeve to be removed prior to inserting the Mesa pins? If so, did something get hinky while removing the sleeve? Maybe a spring falling out of position or whatever?

DBS

Post by DBS » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Brought it in to a smith today.

Turns out my shotgun lacks a spacer at the end of the magazine tube (it's a police trade-in and that's how it was when I got it). That allowed the barrel to creep too far into the receiver, which prevented the gun from cycling properly when the trigger group was pinned in place (but not when it wasn't).

Receiver was fine, trigger group was fine, all Mesa Tactical parts were fine, and my side-saddle installation was fine.

Easy fix once he figured it out, and he didn't even charge me anything.

Malicious Compliance
New Shotgunner

Post by Malicious Compliance » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:06 am

Excellent! Hope it is smooth sailing going forward for your with this fine piece of gear!

rfsison2

Post by rfsison2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi, DBS Im new to this great website. Ive got the identical problem you had 10 months ago. Mesa side saddle on 870 and trigger wont reset. Ive had the saddle on for years and now the barrel seems to have moved like you stated in your situation and it wont reset the trigger, i moved the barrel and it works perfectly, so my question is what kind of spacer did your smith use and where did he put? it thanks so much...