Restoration and Rebuild Project

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Azdak

Restoration and Rebuild Project

Post by Azdak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm hoping folks here can help. Really appreciate any feedback you can provide.

I picked up two 870 Police Magnums from GTDist. One came in synthetic and almost looking NIB. The other was a bit more worn 870 with walnut furniture. Both have cleaned up extremely well and, after a couple of sessions, I'm loving the wood look and am in the process of converting the synthetic to wood.

A few questions:
- The wood forearm I picked up is a REALLY tight fit. As in, I'm afraid if I screw on the foreend nut the full way it's going to crack. Is it ok to free up the channel the nut goes into a bit? The tube itself was a really tight fit on the forend as well. Needed some gentle taps to get it on.

- Both stocks now have the original police buttpad with the 'vents' in the side. They are not very squishy and are less comfortable than the others on my newer 870s. I have a local smith that can do grind to fit on Pachmyers, but if there is a bolt on, I think it's worth it. Has anyone had success with the police furniture (Probably from about the 2000s) using a pre-fit recoil pad? Any suggestions?

Azdak

Re: Restoration and Rebuild Project

Post by Azdak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:42 pm

So.. in case anyone was curious. This is about half way through the project.

The Synthetic is a 4+1 stock 870 Police. The wood is a 4+1 that's since gotten a +3 extender and upgraded to a IC 20" barrel with rifle sights. Both shotguns are also now sporting Vang Comp dome head safeties.

I tore both down fully and did a complete cleaning. The wood got a lot of love. It required some elbow grease, but almost all the marks came off. I'm really happy with how they have turned out.

Next step will be to replace the wood on the synthetic stocked gun. I have the stock set here, just waiting for the bearing plate to show up so I can mount it.

Last will be to figure out the recoil pads. I have a sample inbound, hopefully it fits. Otherwise both will probably go off to a gunsmith for a grind to fit.

Azdak

Post by Azdak » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:20 am

Almost forgot - A quick pass with some sandpaper inside the forend and everything went together easy peasy.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:11 am

As you just found, wood can shrink over the years.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.