870 action will not lock-up

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Pirate69

870 action will not lock-up

Post by Pirate69 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:43 pm

I have a Model 870 Tactical that will not lock-up while working the action without a shell involved. It appears the tip of the extractor is hitting the very edge of the slot in the barrel and is not sliding to the outside and allowing it to lock-up. I can hold the front end of the bolt as it closes and pull it slightly towards the ejection port and it closes fine. Anyone have an idea what is happening? Thanks to all in advance.

BurstBarrel
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: 870 action will not lock-up

Post by BurstBarrel » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 am

Welcome my friend to the forum!

Has it always done it or after some changes or re-assembly? Extractor, Plunger & Spring not installed correctly or wrong/defective parts.

Start with that and let us know.
:lol:
NRA Life Member
DIY Gunsmith, Handloader and 870 Owner

Pirate69

Post by Pirate69 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:22 pm

no history on the gun. I just picked it up "as is". I may start by redoing the extractor installation.

BurstBarrel
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by BurstBarrel » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:51 am

Pirate69 wrote:no history on the gun. I just picked it up "as is". I may start by redoing the extractor installation.
It could very well have the wrong part(s) in it. See any damage to the barrel? A new Extractor with Spring and Plunger is about $20.00. Look for any bolt face damage too.
:lol:
NRA Life Member
DIY Gunsmith, Handloader and 870 Owner

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:01 am

A defective extractor, or a botched "extractor tune job" are likely culprits. The former is easy enough to diagnose, just replace the extractor and see if things change (the extractor plunger and spring shouldn't need replacing unless they're obviously damaged). The latter can get expensive if some knucklehead ground down the extractor pivot shoulder inside the bolt, rather than taking the pivot pad of the extractor down instead (which is the proper way to tighten the extractor). Check both parts for signs of "custom work", and replace as necessary.

I would also examine the extractor slot in your barrel closely. If a user doesn't catch the problem and tries to force the action closed, a nose-diving extractor can potentially damage the beginning of the ramp inside that slot; sometimes so severely that even a new, properly-fitted extractor will continue to find its way under it.

Trapguy
New Shotgunner

Post by Trapguy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:05 pm

You might try to leave the action a little ajar. Start to tighten the cap with the barrel on, then close the action and finish the tightening of the cap.
That puts the bolt in the right spot.

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:27 am

I maybe miss quoting this, but I had seen mention of the forearm nut being loose causing the action to not lock up properly.

Best of luck finding the problem and getting working

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:09 pm

Never had an 870 extractor not end up aligned with the barrel slot regardless whether I torqued the nut with action open or closed. The ejector do-dad on left wall should force correct alignment. I guess I'd snug it up slightly open, then close it so extractor is aligned, then tighten up.

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:04 pm

Fascinating. Tell me more. But somewhere else. Maybe take out a television add.