tb trap

tonwil
New Shotgunner

tb trap

Post by tonwil » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:55 pm

I recently bought a 870 tb. the wood is too pretty for a tb. handcut checkering, also no gripcap. have I bought a frankentrap? came with a 30 inch fixed choke full and a 30 inch target barrel with 4 chokes.
Attachments
042.JPG
042.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 11392 times
041.JPG
041.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 11392 times
039.JPG
039.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 11392 times

tonwil
New Shotgunner

Re: tb trap

Post by tonwil » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:57 pm

sorry for the big pics.help!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm not sure about that furniture, though I'm no expert on classic gunstocks. At first I thought it might have been an older sun-grain set, but I haven't seen those with that raised comb. The newer Classic Trap furniture is Monte Carlo style, but this stock looks like it has a longer comb and different checkering. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a Monte Carlo 870 stock with that checkering pattern; but again I'm not an expert. Maybe this is an aftermarket or custom-fit piece, that recoil pad certainly doesn't look like a factory setup.

Still, it looks really nice. 870 stocks are pretty much all interchangeable, so if it fits you well, I say keep it. Just check to make sure it has a bearing plate, you'll probably want to install one if it doesn't.
tonwil wrote:sorry for the big pics.help!
You should have a basic image editing program that'll let you shrink the images down to a more manageable size. Paint will do that if you're running any version of Windows.

tonwil
New Shotgunner

Post by tonwil » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 pm

yeah the pad is a morgan adj, pad. its really a beautiful stock,despite a few nicks or scratches. it looks like an older finish. definitely not new,more like an old DuPont finish. fore end is tapered, but dang if it aint pretty. the wood does fit well. I just don't know. even though the stock may have been cut a little, it still has a 15 inch lop from trigger to middle of pad.

tonwil
New Shotgunner

Post by tonwil » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:52 pm

don't want to look like an idiot, but what is a bearing plate?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:16 pm

It's a metal plate that sits between the stock and the receiver to distribute force evenly over the entire front end of the stock. The back of the receiver itself does not fully support the front end of the stock, which isn't a problem for most polymers, but can encourage cracking or splitting due to shearing forces in anisotropic materials like wood. All factory 870 wood stocks use bearing plates these days, but some custom, aftermarket, and possibly older factory stocks don't. If you take out your trigger plate assembly you'll be able to see where the stock and receiver clamp together, and it'll be pretty obvious whether or not there's a plate between them.

If you don't have one, they're easy to install and cost less than $5 even if you order a new one, less if you buy used. Plenty of folks are replacing factory wood with "tactical" polymer or metal these days, so they're not hard to find. When I was installing my wood stock, I just stopped in at a local gunsmith and he sold me one he had lying around for a few bucks.

tonwil
New Shotgunner

Post by tonwil » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:31 pm

yep, I took the stock off and it definitely does have a bearing plate between the receiver and stock. looks like that stock has been on there a long time. im just going to enjoy shooting and lookin at it and not worry about its originality. I lowered the buttpad a little cause the first time I shot it , it kicked the sweetness out of me.lol it is a sweet gun. I put a 25 inch barrel with a jellyhead turkey choke on it for now.

Trapguy
New Shotgunner

Post by Trapguy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:34 pm

I don’t think TB’s ever came with a choke tubed barrel. The stock and forend is an upgrade and if you wanted to put it back to original you could very easily. I know a guy who moves wood around and probably has TB wood set.
It looks like you have a real nice “Shooting Iron”
Enjoy!
Trapguy