not happy with my 870.

Welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself.
lowendshotgun

not happy with my 870.

Post by lowendshotgun » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:48 am

New shotgun. Action as smooth as a old barn door. Is this something a gunsmith can fix?

Chilly
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: not happy with my 870.

Post by Chilly » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:59 am

An Express or Wingmaster? If Wingmaster then you should send it to Remington because you paid a LOT of money for a rough gun. If an Express then you can massage it yourself to smooth it up, which isnt a big job. The Express are budget-priced utilitarian guns that wont be very smooth from the factory. But thats why they are cheap. However, they can be improved.

It's also why I'd rather pay $250 for a clean old Wingmaster than a new Express. I dont need 3" mag (neither do you, by the way) so old short-chamber Wingmasters are my favorites.

USMA-1982
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by USMA-1982 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:16 am

Rem oil and shooting it should smooth it out. Even just working the action a few dozen times should help.

Chilly
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Chilly » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:03 pm

First step is to disassemble and thoroughly clean the rust preventive sticky stuff that resembles lubricating oil. It is not a lubricant, and sometimes isnt particularly grime-free.

After that you can either smooth it in with use, or find and fix the sliding contact points that are rough, or pay a gunsmith to do it. The 870 is super simple, if you arent thoroughly familiar with the function of every part and every feature then studying that and fixing yourself can be a rewarding exercise. But some people arent made that way, which is fine too.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:44 pm

USMA-1982 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:16 am
Rem oil and shooting it should smooth it out. Even just working the action a few dozen times should help.
Yup. Grab two-or-three boxes of cheap game loads, head to the range, and just run them all thru the action. Work it. Clean it. See how stiff or rough it is after some use. I own two Expresses and they will open up nicely.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!