Adjusting & Bore Sighting 12 Gauge

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Adjusting & Bore Sighting 12 Gauge

Post by ABL1111 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:15 pm

I bought a used but seemingly new looking 12 gauge rifles barrel for my 870 ringmaster. The gun shoots 3" to the left and 1" high @ 50 yards.

I looked at the front sight - looks OEM and mounts in a dovetail design. It's mounted off-center, to the right. The previous owner looks like he tried to adjust the back sight to the right to compensate. I moved the rear sight way to the right and it did bring the shots closer to center - but it looked ridiculous.

So - I want to adjust the front sight to where it should be and then the rear site.

I was hoping to bore sight this so when I get to the range, I can get it dialed in quicker. Would appreciate your input. I've read it can be done - just playing with iron sites seems tedious as the mode of adjustment has a hammer in the equation.

Also, I will probably be switching these OEM sights out down-the-road to see Bambi's Dad easier my eyes have gotten cruddy as I get older. This will be for deer, so would like advice on this too.

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Adjusting & Bore Sighting 12 Gauge

Post by ABL1111 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 pm

Ok sound I have realized that bore sighting with iron sights is not going to happen.

And, its a trial and error thing adjusting the iron sights.

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Is it possible to use a barrel mounted bore sighter against a wall to adjust my iron sights to line up ? Just seems like shooting through $$ ammo to get it lined up ( while crushing my shoulder ) could be made easier.

Is this possible ? And if so, what's a decent/ cheap, bore sighter fir a 12 gauge ? If I do this say against a wall 15' away, how high should I adjust the barrel so when I get to a range at 50 yards I'll be in the ballpark ?

Lastly, how do most of you adjust your sights for hunting ? With the target above the front sight or hiding behind it ?

Thx

Chilly
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Chilly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 am

If you can adjust the rear sight to get on target then you can adjust front sight the same amount to opposite direction. Then re-center the rear sight. Is that what you are looking to do?

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:54 pm

ABL1111 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:58 pm
Lastly, how do most of you adjust your sights for hunting ? With the target above the front sight or hiding behind it ?
Generally iron sights are aligned with the "pumpkin on a stick" approach, where the visible portion of the black circle sits just on top of the front sight post.Image
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!