Cutting Wingmaster Stock ?

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Cutting Wingmaster Stock ?

Post by ABL1111 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:25 pm

I have an old but nearly new 870 Wingmaster, BDL, in 12 gauge ~ circa 1957.

I have never shot her ! A family heirloom.

I've recently swapped the bird barrel with an 18" rifled barrel for deer hunting.

I am looking to get rid of the slide-on recoil pad and install a new, grind-to-fit pad (another topic in itself). When aiming the gun with the current slide-on pad - it seems 'long to the trigger'. The replacement recoil pad I would want would be even thicker to help with the kick.

In order to fit me right, I think the stock would need to be cut. I HATE TO DO THIS ! Would this decrease the value of the gun ? It has a nice old carved stock and if I cut it, I'd remove that, and make it straight.

Opinions ?

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Cutting Wingmaster Stock ?

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:36 pm

ABL1111 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:25 pm
Would this decrease the value of the gun ? It has a nice old carved stock and if I cut it, I'd remove that, and make it straight.
DO NOT CUT THAT STOCK. Bubba modifications always decrease the value of the gun. Remington sells new stocks cheap, or even better try eBay or the classifieds here for a used stock set that you can chainsaw away on without hurting the value of your original stock. That way the original can always be put back in place when that time comes.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Post by TexasArmor84 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:51 pm

I agree as well keep your original parts and buy aftermarket that way you can always put back to original

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 pm

I agree guys.

This older WIngmaster seems to need specific parts. How can I confirm that a stock I find will fit my 'ole girl.

By the way, went to the range today and shot her with t he 18" rifled barrel. Kicks like a mule ! Definitely need a recoil pad - the thicker the better !

Thanks for your good advice.

- Sore Shoulder

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:55 am

ABL1111 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 pm
This older WIngmaster seems to need specific parts. How can I confirm that a stock I find will fit my 'ole girl.

Call Remington customer service with your s/n and they'll set you up with the list of compatible parts. They might even have something in their "factory seconds" that you can score, plus they have deals going right now.

Kicks like a mule? You're anticipating the recoil such as on a target bench. Im agine you're shooting at game, raise the shotgun in one motion and fire. Even during trap I rarely notice my recoil (until the next day).
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 pm

I'll give them a buzz but my confidence in them about compatibility is low. I provided my serial # several different times and got serval different answers to the same question; I was trying to figure out barrel compatibility - everything from you 'cannot swap a barrel on your gun' to ' this model # barrel will work ' ( when not wouldn't ) and finally - the right answer... That was over (3) years wasted in research. This site provided me the info I needed to find the right answer !

I agree that when in the range that's one thing - but a 'the moment of truth', I won't feel anything. I've shot several deer with my Ithaca Deer Slayer and don't remember the recoil at all.

I'm trying to make this old 870 a deer gun. The recoil pad would be a nice feature - but I will not cut the original stock. I'll call Remi and report back.

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Spoke to Remington - HYSTERICAL ! The guy I spoke to was a really nice guy. When I gave him my serial #, he said the gun is an early 1955 gun ! That's the 3rd or 4th different year of manufacture I've received over the years from Remington. He was adamant that it was built in 1955. The last guy was adamant about it being built a different year. I'll go with 1955 for now.

Anyway - seems the 870 stock and forend are interchangeable with any year as long as the gauge is the same.

That's good news ! He also said that my gun is not too common - the "BDL" on the barrel makes it a higher end 870 from that era. Either way, I wasn't going to cut the stock anyway.

I'll be trying to find replacement furniture and then will cut and add the recoil pad.

1911LVR
Shotgunner

Post by 1911LVR » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Have you looked here for the date code?
https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:16 am

I gave Remington the serial # on the left side of my receiver - he said 1955. I wonder if he thought I gave him the barrel # ?

I would assume that the receiver serial # means something and that Remington might have that info - not sure.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:26 am

Well, glad you <ahem> got that all straightened out. Understand that with Remington's move and financial problems, the customer service desk may be iffy. I've always just gone with the date-code-Super Decoder ring posted above by 1911LVR and many other places. I would have guessed that the stocks were the same, that being the case on the 700's where you can swap almost any stock from any model 700 to any other and they fit perfectly. Let's see this beauty when she's done.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life