Tactical stocks for .20 ga?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
870.20ga

Tactical stocks for .20 ga?

Post by 870.20ga » Wed May 09, 2018 1:55 am

Hello,
I am having some difficulty locating an adjustable tactical stock for my remington 870 express .20 gauge. any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Re: Tactical stocks for .20 ga?

Post by efriedrich » Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 am

Klagz13
Shotgunner

Post by Klagz13 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:47 am

I thought the Blackhawk Knoxx fit the 20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue May 15, 2018 3:53 am

12ga stocks don't fit a modern small frame 20ga without an adapter. Some Knoxx stocks & grips are offered in 20ga versions, but they may take some digging to find.

Are you looking for a tactical stock, or a tacti-cool stock? If it's the former, I would just find a sturdy wood or polymer semi-grip stock with a LoP that fits you & any other family members who may need to use the gun, give it a decent recoil pad, and call it good. A stock doesn't need to be fancy or complicated to be an effective defensive tool - often those two tend to be at odds to one another.

redgoat
Shotgunner

Post by redgoat » Tue May 15, 2018 7:07 pm

I agree with Synchronizor here. Generally, for “tactical” use, you will want a shorter length of pull than if your application is wing shooting or shooting at clays.

My favorites for the small frame 20 gauge 870s are the Remington “youth” stock in either wood or synthetic form. These offer a 13 in length of pull, perfect for “tactctical” use by someone In the 5 1/2 ft to 6 ft 3 in height range with proportionate length arms. For someone under that size, the Remington “compact” (aka “Junior”) stock offers a 12 inch length of pull. To fine tune the length of pull even further, I am told (I haven’t bought one to test out yet) that the length of pull spacer kit offered by Remington can be used to add to either the compact or youth synthetic stocks in either 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch increments. For wood stocks, you can easily cut to give the desired length of pull.

Another (more expensive) option is the Magpul SGA stock, which can be fitted to the small frame 20 gauge 870 with the Mesa “Lucy” adapter. These include a set of spacers that allow a range of adjustment that start at about 12 1/2 inches length of pull and can go out to 14 1/2 inches in 1/2 inch increments. It requires a flat blade screwdriver and a couple of minutes to add or remove the spacers. This is probably one of the most expensive options. You’ll be out over $130 - $140 for the stock and the adapter.

Lastly, there are the various “M4 / AR” pistol grip setups. These will let you instantly adjust from a bit under 12 inch length of pull to a bit over 14 inches with no tools. Once again, the Mesa “Lucy” adapter can be used for these setups when the preferred option is available for only the 12 gauge large frame receiver.

But, if you want to keep it simple, light and maneuverable, it is hard to beat the Remington offerings, particularly their synthetic versions.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun May 20, 2018 12:37 am

redgoat wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:07 pm
Another (more expensive) option is the Magpul SGA stock, which can be fitted to the small frame 20 gauge 870 with the Mesa “Lucy” adapter. These include a set of spacers that allow a range of adjustment that start at about 12 1/2 inches length of pull and can go out to 14 1/2 inches in 1/2 inch increments. It requires a flat blade screwdriver and a couple of minutes to add or remove the spacers. This is probably one of the most expensive options. You’ll be out over $130 - $140 for the stock and the adapter.
Magpul makes good stuff. In addition to the above, the SGA stock can be customized with different-height cheek risers, accessories to add either clip-on or push-button DQ sling functionality, or an adapter that allows the stock to accept any of the nice recoil pad upgrades intended for the factory synthetic stocks like the Remington SuperCell or the Revtech Kickstop.

One thing about the SGA stock though, is that it has a significantly steeper grip angle than a factory-style semi-grip. Some folks like that, but it doesn't work for others (myself included). It's definitely something you should try before you buy, if possible. It's not usually tough to find at least one 870 with Magpul furniture in a well-stocked gun shop.