Remington V3

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Remington V3

Post by efriedrich » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:03 am

If I'm not carrying an 870 then I have my V3. Very nice shotgun, extremely reliable, light, points like an 870 and well made. Remington got it right and if your looking for a semi auto you should give the V3 a hard look. Only down side is that extremely long 26" barrel (ha,ha, I like short barrels), shorter one's aren't available yet.
Attachments
IMG_0251.jpg
IMG_0251.jpg (114.36 KiB) Viewed 5954 times

BurstBarrel
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Remington V3

Post by BurstBarrel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Is the Remington V3 the same as the Versa-Max? For hunting, trap and so on I don't think you will find the 26 inch barrel too long at all.
:lol:
NRA Life Member
DIY Gunsmith, Handloader and 870 Owner

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 pm

They share the Versaport gas action, although even that is different in the V3 (patented), and it has an aluminum receiver like the Versamax, but they are completely different shotguns and share no parts. The V3 is only 3" capable compared to Versamax which can shoot the 3.5" big boys, and there are a bevy of other ingenious features. Remington engineered and tested the heck out of this gun before releasing it and it really shows. This is my waterfowl, Pheasant and Crow gun so I was kidding about the barrel length, it is fine for fields, ponds, stream ect. where there is room to swing it, I just prefer short barrels for thick brush and woods when I am chasing furry critters.
Attachments
IMG_0284.jpg
IMG_0284.jpg (96.06 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
Last edited by efriedrich on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:27 pm

That's good to know. Your closed in area looks like what we consider "open" areas up here. So I understand completely the preference for shorter barrels, as we share that. Except no pheasants, no turkeys, no ...... just ptarmigan and grouse.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 am

Yeah, I've always liked the concept of the V3 (though I haven't had the chance to play with one yet). Similar clever gas system to the Versa Max, but with the action laid-out in such a way that there's no need for the stock to house a mainspring, thus opening the door to shorty builds, folding stocks, etc. Missed opportunity in my eyes not to design the thing to use 870 stocks, though perhaps the V3's receiver with its internal springs couldn't be made narrow enough for that to work cleanly.

Honestly, I'm surprised how conservative Remington has been with the roll-out of the V3; I would have expected more barrel & accessory options right off the bat, along with some defensive/combat configurations. Heck, the V3 is the gun that really would have made sense with a detachable magazine option, not the 870.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 am
Honestly, I'm surprised how conservative Remington has been with the roll-out of the V3; I would have expected more barrel & accessory options right off the bat, along with some defensive/combat configurations. Heck, the V3 is the gun that really would have made sense with a detachable magazine option
I'm sure all that is coming and from what I have gathered from internet forums and other publications is Remington has been slow/cautious with the V3 to avoid problems and not tarnish the model with bad first impressions. This is the replacement for the 1100/1187 as Remingtons flagship semiauto shotgun going forward and they are making sure they have it right. There are a lot of reasons to like the V3, the Versaport system is so compact, efficient and simple (see Benelli M4 A.R.G.O.) that short tactical barrels will not be a problem because of excessive gas bleed causing FTF, FTE that plague so many other gas action semi autos and with no spring in the buttstock this shotgun is just begging for a badass short barreled, pistol gripped tactical model and not to mention a cool Turkey model has to be right around the corner as well. Your an evil genius, I don't really see the need for a box magazine on an 870 , but having one on the V3 is a spectacular idea.