Ideas or methods to smooth up the action?

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Kemtooler

Ideas or methods to smooth up the action?

Post by Kemtooler » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:24 am

I picked up a used 870 from a friend that I intend to clean up and make real pretty. It'll still get used, bit the stock and forend on the express models just seem low end. All that being said, when I do tear into it, I'm interested to know if there's anything that can be done to smooth up the pump action. It seems sloppy. Maybe just some oil, but in others I've messed with, a lot of the pieces used to build these are stamped and have lots of burs etc.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Ideas or methods to smooth up the action?

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 am

Clean it thoroughly, then go out and shoot it. A lot. Best thing you can do to an 870 - any 870 - is to use it. Expresses may be rougher out of the box since they have a matte finish and don't see all of the same polishing steps that some higher-end models go through; but all normal 870s have the same sort of mass-produced, no-fitting-needed construction, and all will get smoother with use. My Express has seen so many rounds & cycles that you could work the action with just your pinky, and it's way better at this point than any new Wingmaster I've handled.

As for the furniture, the Express models are utilitarian working guns, not fancy show pieces. I think the Express furniture stands up and works well for what it is. The laminate & hardwood stocks are solid, while the plastic stocks are durable and nice & lightweight. But if you want something that looks better, check online for used hardwood furniture. There are plenty of old stocks and fore-ends out there that used some pretty darn nice walnut. Either keep an eye out for a set in good shape, or buy a battered-but-intact set and restore it, make it your own.