Remington 870 Tactical HD build

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
jbur88
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Remington 870 Tactical HD build

Post by jbur88 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Just wanted to start a thread for my build. Just bought a Remington 870 Tactical, the model that comes XS ghost ring sights and door breach choke. I was able to put about 150 rounds through it this last weekend and it shot perfectly. I'm in love with this gun. I have some future mods in mind that i want to do.

Magpul SGA stock
Magpul Mlok forend
Mapul sling and sling mounts
Mesa Tactical 6 round side saddle.

I figured that would be a good start. I bought some Hornady critical defense 00 Buck for my home defense rounds. Any advice for a first time shotgun owner in terms of things i should upgrade for a HD build? Any maintenance tips? after I shot it i ran a bore snake through it a couple times and wiped the whole gun down with remoil. I figured i'd do a tear down and deep clean once i put some more rounds through it. Thanks for any advice. I'll get some photos up soon. Right now it's completely stock so nothing really to show.
Rem 870 Tactical w/ Magpul stock, Forend, MS3 Sling and sling mount/Wilson Combat follower and spring/Vancomp big dome safety/Volquartsen Exact edge extractor/Heavy carrier spring/Elzetta Mount/ Streamlight polytac/Mesa Tactical poly Side saddle.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Remington 870 Tactical HD build

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:04 am

My suggestions:

>Lose the door breaching choke; it's pointless, and only adds length & weight. If you actually ever need to breach a door (extremly unlikely), you can do it just fine without a fancy stand-off.

>Make sure you have a good recoil pad. If the one that comes with your new stock isn't comfortable enough, Magpul offers an adapter that'll let you install one of the very nice Remington SuperCell pads on that stock.

>Slings & sling mounts are fine, but you probably don't want to keep the sling on there full-time for HD duty.

>Take your trigger pin detent springs out before installing the sidesaddle.

Just little things really, the 870 is a great shotgun right out of the box. Mods are really more about personalizing the gun than actually fixing anything.

jbur88
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by jbur88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Thank you for the advice. i agree the door breach is not necessary, my question is, can i shoot the gun without it? its got a threaded barrel so when i take the breach off, the barrel would be thinner at the end, is it still safe to shot with out the breach or do i need to get a new barrel that is not threaded?

I will definitely put some rounds through it once i get the new stock on and see how the recoil feels. with the factory stock it hasnt been an issue. i put over a hundred rounds through it last weekend and it felt good.

I wont be using the sling at all times, i mostly just want it for when i go to up on the mountain to shoot so i can do some 2 gun drills.

Could you explain a little more what you mean about Take the trigger pin detent springs out before installing the side saddle? this is my first shotgun so i'm still learning about all the parts.
Rem 870 Tactical w/ Magpul stock, Forend, MS3 Sling and sling mount/Wilson Combat follower and spring/Vancomp big dome safety/Volquartsen Exact edge extractor/Heavy carrier spring/Elzetta Mount/ Streamlight polytac/Mesa Tactical poly Side saddle.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 am

jbur88 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:29 pm
Thank you for the advice. i agree the door breach is not necessary, my question is, can i shoot the gun without it? its got a threaded barrel so when i take the breach off, the barrel would be thinner at the end, is it still safe to shot with out the breach or do i need to get a new barrel that is not threaded?
You just need to put a different choke tube in there to replace the breacher choke. A basic flush-fit IC or Skeet tube will work fine for HD, though you can experiment and find the constriction that works best with your ammo. Don't try to shoot the gun without a choke tube installed.
jbur88 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:29 pm
Could you explain a little more what you mean about Take the trigger pin detent springs out before installing the side saddle? this is my first shotgun so i'm still learning about all the parts.
See this video.

jbur88
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by jbur88 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:20 am

Thank you! i'll look into that!

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:30 am

Just ordered the Magpul SGA stock. Will be here Monday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Magpul SGA stock, M-lok forend, ms3 sling, Wilson combat follower/spring, vangcomp safety, volquartsen extractor, heavy carrier spring, Nordic barrel clamp.

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:31 am

Some photos stock before any upgrades.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Magpul SGA stock, M-lok forend, ms3 sling, Wilson combat follower/spring, vangcomp safety, volquartsen extractor, heavy carrier spring, Nordic barrel clamp.

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:27 pm

From the look of the smile on your face, you seem happy with it.

Which is good.

Because "tactical" isn't a configuration ;)

Well done.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Ordered the Wilson combat follower and spring upgrade too. I read great reviews about it and it's very affordable.

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 pm

John A. wrote:From the look of the smile on your face, you seem happy with it.

Which is good.

Because "tactical" isn't a configuration ;)

Well done.
When I said tactical I meant the model of the shotgun lol sorry.