Garage sale find

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
John A.
Super Shotgunner

Garage sale find

Post by John A. » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:27 pm

I recently picked up an older 870 from an acquaintance at a yard sale he was having for $150.

Blueing was well worn, but was in otherwise pretty good shape. 20 inch cylinder barrel. Wood furniture. All metal (except the follower)

After I got it home, I emailed Remington and found out that it was made in December '89.

The plastic follower being the only plastic part on the whole gun irritated me. So, I made one from 6061 Aluminum on my lathe.

Refinished the reciever and barrel with Norrells Moly Socom black. While short of encasing in carbonite, the steel should be quite well protected :lol:

After shooting the gun a while, it bugged me that it was shooting several inches above the point of aim, so I installed a taller front bead, and since I was replacing it anyway decided to use a Meprolight tritium front. I don't have any closeup photos of it. But the most important thing is that it shoots right where I want it to at 20 yards now.

While I normally load my own buckshot and slugs, and I usually load them to "low brass" velocity to reduce the recoil, faster followup shots and reduce over-penetration somewhat for the short distances that I use it at, I did put on an Airtech limbsaver pad. It's not really necessary for the managed recoil loads, but it does make it more comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time anyway.

The only other changes I have made to it to suit my needs was to add an Aim sports 6 shell side saddle, and a Choate extended mag tube. The only thing that I haven't done (yet) is add a weaponlight for night duty, but I have a Winchester 1300 speed pump geared up for that right now so I'm not in a rush to put another elzetta mount on the 870.

Since the 870 is "the work horse", I find myself grabbing it when going up to the cabin to discourage coyotes or bears, and I've been using it a lot on the front of the 4 wheeler too.

I've been real happy with it so far.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

ShotgunSam870
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Garage sale find

Post by ShotgunSam870 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Wow! That’s a good find, at a great price.
“Civil Wars happen when the victimized are armed. Genocide happens when they are not.”
― A.E. Samaan

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Thank you very much. I thought so too. I was so happy to have came across it.

I appreciated finding a somewhat older one. Glad that it didn't have many plastic parts. Where "work guns" are concerned, I appreciate a traditional, blued steel and wood gun.

Nothing against "plastic fantastic". I have several of them too, but I just have more confidence in older guns that continue to stand the tests of time.
-John A.

ShotgunSam870
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ShotgunSam870 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:26 pm

John A. wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm
Thank you very much. I thought so too. I was so happy to have came across it.

I appreciated finding a somewhat older one. Glad that it didn't have many plastic parts. Where "work guns" are concerned, I appreciate a traditional, blued steel and wood gun.

Nothing against "plastic fantastic". I have several of them too, but I just have more confidence in older guns that continue to stand the tests of time.
Agreed, how many shells do it hold? 4+1? I have two 870s, an Express and Police Magnum
“Civil Wars happen when the victimized are armed. Genocide happens when they are not.”
― A.E. Samaan

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 pm

When I first got it, it only held 2+1 with the plug in it. :roll: Without the limiter, it was 4+1 too.

I have installed a Choate extended tube on it since the photos were taken though. It currently holds eight 2-3/4" shells with one in the pipe. But in all fairness, I usually only load up the 6 from the side saddle most of the time.
-John A.

ShotgunSam870
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ShotgunSam870 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:31 pm

John A. wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 pm
When I first got it, it only held 2+1 with the plug in it. :roll: Without the limiter, it was 4+1 too.

I have installed a Choate extended tube on it since the photos were taken though. It currently holds eight 2-3/4" shells with one in the pipe. But in all fairness, I usually only load up the 6 from the side saddle most of the time.
Ah ok. Yeah that 2+1 is nothing to have, my Police Magnum, That I got very recently, held only 4+1. Kinda irked me, so right now I’m waiting on a Wilson Combat 1 shot extension.
― A.E. Samaan

Snapshot870
New Shotgunner

Post by Snapshot870 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 pm

A really good find and a smart buy good shooting.

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you.

I recently spent the 2 1/2 hours it took to ream and thread the barrel to accept screw in chokes.

Now it's even a lot more versatile than before.

The old cylinder bore wouldn't dream of holding a pattern with 6 shot at 20 yards :lol:

Now it's a respectable pattern that I didn't have to use a whole piece of sheetrock to see where the center was :lol:

Now I can shoot any type of shell, and hunt anything from the same barrel. Oh yeah.
-John A.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 am

That's great! A very nice make-over and now nice patterns too!
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!