Some Muzzleloaders...

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
AndyinEverson
New Shotgunner

Some Muzzleloaders...

Post by AndyinEverson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:05 pm

DSC05463.jpg
DSC05463.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4528 times
Not sure if anyone here is into muzzleloaders or antique guns ... but I have a few.
Most are originals dating from around 1780-1880's.
Some I shoot , most I just use to show and tell , so to speak ...
It is fun to hand a person a 170 odd year old gun , talk about its history and then shoot it with them.
Andy
Why don't you knock it off , with them negative waves... :mrgreen:

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Re: Some Muzzleloaders...

Post by DaveC » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Spectacular! Awesome collection you've got yerself there!

:D Thanks for posting the picture!

I like muzzleloading. I try to do it about once a month.
I've got only caplocks, at least for now, but I've got the flintlock obsession... :geek:
I've got a "Pennsyltucky" .50, a Hawken .50, a .58 cal. Pedersoli copy of the Mississippi/Yaeger for skirmishing (fun!), a .50 cal. under hammer "chunk gun," a .36 cal. under hammer, and a .32 cal. Navy Arms side-slapper skwerl raffle. Oh, and my wife has two revolvers and a single-shot pistol. ;)
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

SoCal_Rem870
Shotgunner

Post by SoCal_Rem870 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:29 am

It has been more than twenty years since I've shot muzzle loaders, but they have always appealed to me. That is no doubt largely because my first introduction to firearms was through shooting muzzle loaders at my uncle's private range with his muzzle loader gun club that has been meeting at his property for more than fifty years now. He has a collection not unlike yours, including may period artifacts from the 1700's and 1800's. My older brother also had a Dixie Gun Works .58 cal. Zouave Rifle kit he built/finished himself, so I got to see all of the finishing work on the wood, the browning/cold blueing (I forget which, but I recall a pot of boiling water being used so perhaps the latter) of the barrel, etc., which fascinated me. Because of all of that, I am still very much considering getting muzzle loader pistol and rifle kits myself (percussion, not flintlock - I hate the the trigger pull to fire delay of flintlocks :lol:) now that I finally got off my butt and now have my own small collection. Thanks for showing your nice collection! 8-)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:45 pm

I'd love someday to get me one of these things:

Here's a video.

Kinda wish it was offered in 16ga, though. More flexible with large shot sizes, buckshot especially.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:09 am

I'm with ya... I'd love to get something like the old Ithaca Auto and Burglar... Unfortunately, the "Howdah" in .410 is not that...

16-ga. Interesting. Have you seen the repro Secessionist cavalry double-barrel percussion in 20-gauge? 8-in. barrels, but a full stock. :shock: That's a neat one... If I wasn't squirreling away money for a flintlock... Then again, I don't have a use for something like that, unlike skirmishing with a .58 cal. caplock musket! :geek: :lol:
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.