Need Advice Regarding New 870 Tactical/Hunting Build

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Lazarus

Re: Need Advice Regarding New 870 Tactical/Hunting Build

Post by Lazarus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:05 am
If you'll have the option to return it, go ahead and give it a try. Some folks really like those stocks, and you may be one of them. I would still recommend taking the gun out in stock form before adding anything to it, though. Break it in, get to know it, and make sure it's working properly before adding aftermarket stuff.
Excellent advice, and that's what I'm planning on doing. Approximately how many shells should I put through the shotgun before it could considered "broken in?"
Bourget117 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 pm
Have you thought about a Hougue stock and forend? Looks like a traditional set up but has many improvements over the stock Remington set. I swapped out my Remington stock and forend after shooting with it once. It's much nicer now with the Hogue.
Are you referring to this particular Hogue stock?:

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... 18365.aspx

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:32 am

Bourget117 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 pm
Have you thought about a Hougue stock and forend? Looks like a traditional set up but has many improvements over the stock Remington set. I swapped out my Remington stock and forend after shooting with it once. It's much nicer now with the Hogue.
Are you referring to this particular Hogue stock?:

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... 18365.aspx
[/quote]

Yes that is the set I have. I replaced the thin lightweight Remington stock and the speed feed forend that came with my marine magnum.
Attachments
IMG_3749.JPG
IMG_3749.JPG (531.47 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
IMG_3746.JPG
IMG_3746.JPG (537.87 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 am
Excellent advice, and that's what I'm planning on doing. Approximately how many shells should I put through the shotgun before it could considered "broken in?"
I would say hit up Wal-Mart, and pick up one or two of those inexpensive hundred-packs of target shells from Federal or Remington (the cheap Winchesters suck). These are cheaper steel-cup shells, and may not run perfectly in a brand-new chamber, but they should do pretty well, and won't empty your wallet. If one sticks, just yank it out and keep shooting. Make sure you clean your chamber & barrel bore, and lube the choke tube threads before you go shooting for the first time.

The gun will continue to break-in and slick-up past the first couple hundred rounds, but that first 100 - 200 should get it on its way, and reveal any issues it might have. It'll also get you familiar with the thing, and you'll probably be in a better position to make decisions about modifications & accessories.