870 TAC-14 modifications

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

870 TAC-14 modifications

Post by Banshee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:49 pm

I've been modifying my TAC 14
First thing I did was remove the dimples in the mag tube using a XS Sight Systems swage tool. Looks much better than drilling holes, even easier.

then I drilled the barrel support ring for the detent retention system. I was going to install the detent, but I've seem to have misplaced the staking tool. After 2 long hours of looking for it, I decided to order another one from Brownells. It should be here next week sometime.

Last edited by Banshee on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 TAC-14 modifications

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:19 am

If you feel up to it, Banshee, you should post a brief how-to for adding a magazine cap detent. I'm sure a lot of folks besides myself would be interested in seeing that, since most extensions are designed to work with one.

5pointstar78

Post by 5pointstar78 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 am

Please do show how the detent is done I already bought the swage and was pondering this very thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Drilling the detent for magazine cap isn’t really that difficult, just takes some special tools. This isn’t really something you would want to tackle with a hand drill or even a drill press. I’m not saying that a home shop smith can’t do it,
I have seen some home guys do some pretty amazing things, but a good vertical milling machine with an accurate locating system is a BIG plus here.

Tools needed
Bridgeport milling machine.
6 inch spot drill. A 6 inch long #2 center drill works great for this.
4-5 inch long 1/8 drill ** Standard length drills will not work due to the drill chuck hitting the muzzle of the barrel. ** (The shop I work in buys some drills in 12 inch lengths and we cut the shank off to the length we need)
Remington detent and spring
Detent staking tool
Small ball peen hammer

I made this barrel holding jig a few years ago to help hold and locate the barrel for drilling, tapping and installing a sight bead on the 870. The jig holds it by the support ring so you can hold the barrel in a mill vice without doing any damage to it.

The first thing is to mount a vice on the Bridgeport mill table with the jaws hanging over the side of the table so the barrel will hang vertical. Use an indicator mounted in the spindle to locate the center (zero) of the barrel support ring.

I made this drawing from an old Wingmaster barrel ring that I have.

After you find the center of the ring move the spindle to the locations on the drawing.
Use the spot drill and lightly drill a spot for the 1/8 drill.
Change out the spot drill with the 1/8 drill, drill into the ring .030-.040 deep, raise drill, and blow out the chips. Repeat this until the hole is
a little deeper than the length of the spring. A little oil helps with the drilling.I drilled mine about .350 deep

Clean out the hole, insert the spring and detent. Place the detent punch over the detent and push it down until the lips of the punch touches the ring,
Lightly tap the punch with a small ball peen hammer a couple of times or until the detent is secured in the hole.

I'll post a picture of the finished part when I get the replacement staking tool. If it doesn't end up with the other one. :lol:

update

staking tool

staked detent
Last edited by Banshee on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 pm

it just occurred to me that some may not understand the drawing. it uses the Cartesian coordinate system. You have two axis, X runs right and left and Y runs forward and rearward. The numbers forward and right are positive, the number rearward and left are negative. The center of the cross is zero. On the drawing X is the first number and Y is the second.

0.200,0.550 means 0.200 to the right (X), 0.550 forward (Y). in this case it is a 20 deg angle move

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:42 pm

for chits and grins I drilled the grip and added a swivel stud

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Banshee, thanks for your posts, it was really interesting to read them.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 am

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I've noticed that there's some variance in how far the detent is located from the center of the guide ring. Some extensions I've reviewed will engage the detent with some barrels, but not others. Your dimensions would place the detent at about .585" from the magazine axis; does that engage the Vang Comp extension well? The Vang Comp +2 I tried out didn't engage the factory detent on either of my two barrels with detents.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 am

There very well may be some variations in detent locations, but I haven't checked many of them to say with any real knowledge. I got my numbers from a 70s era Wingmaster. I have noticed on Mossberg made 870 barrels the detent is angled down toward the magazine tube 5 deg.

Vang extensions have a smaller od then the Remington caps. I have three Vang Comp extensions and all of them have worked on my guns, but the notches just barely do engage the detent.

If you look at my pictures of the ring you can see where the Vang fits against
the face of the ring.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Yeah, I noticed the marks in the finish on the guide ring.