The infamous Shockwave.

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

The infamous Shockwave.

Post by Banshee » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:28 pm

The infamous Shockwave.
Last edited by Banshee on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: The infamous Shockwave.

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:50 am

Nice, looks like you're ready for a graboid to come crashing through your wall.

Anyway, since you've had trigger time with other pistol grips, what do you think of that Shockwave grip in comparison? Since I spent all that time playing with pistol grips for the review over on the blog, I've been kind of wanting to pick up a bird's-head style grip myself to see how it stacks up.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:56 pm

I’ve been using the “Birds head” grip off and on for several years. When fired from eye level they are more “pleasant” to shoot with 00 buck and do help spread the recoil out through the hand, arm, chest and back, but I don’t feel like I have as much control of the firearm as I do with a vertical pistol grip. You really need to grip the birds head tightly or it can slide back in the hand and push the trigger guard in to you middle finger. I believe this is due to the hard plastic they are made out of. Wearing gloves in a wet cold environment they could be hard to hold on to. I would like to try one with a good sticky rubber surface. The Shockwave grip is a little longer giving you more grip surface and easier to hold on to then the wooden grip I have, but will still slide in your hand.
Last edited by Banshee on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:45 am

Yeah, I've shot a normal semi-grip stock one-handed, and figured a bird's-head grip would be prone to the same finger-bashing. However, I really like the ergonomics of a semi-grip stock, and could see a birds-head grip being nice for offering the same control accessibility and maneuverability. I've got one on order; at least Shockwave is offering their grip for a pretty reasonable price. I figure if it really ends up being too hard to hold onto, I can try adding some grip tape. Besides, I've got a video in the works on pistol grip options for the 870, and I know if I don't include a bird's-head grip, I'll get a ton of comments about it.