New tactical/hd build

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Other_barry
New Shotgunner

New tactical/hd build

Post by Other_barry » Fri May 12, 2017 6:35 pm

This is the first shotgun build I have done... Been doing some research and I think I have some ideas where I want to go with it. I ordered a Knoxx specops Gen 3 stock set from optics planet .com for $107.00 which seems to be a pretty good deal. So heads up if anyone is interested $107.00 and free shipping. If anyone has any suggestions or tips feel free top let me know. Ill update this thread as I get parts and try to keep the pictures up to date.

Thanks for taking the time
Other_barry

**pictures to follow once it allows

BlackWhiteGrey
Shotgunner

Re: New tactical/hd build

Post by BlackWhiteGrey » Fri May 12, 2017 10:39 pm

What shotgun are you going with? That's great that you bought a stock already, but generally i'm a fan of getting a new gun, trying it as is, and then seeing where improvements may be needed.

Other_barry
New Shotgunner

Post by Other_barry » Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 pm

870 express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackWhiteGrey
Shotgunner

Post by BlackWhiteGrey » Fri May 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Awesome, looks like a Remington 870 Express Synthetic tactical 7-round, # 25077

Well, since you already ordered the Knoxx stock you might as well try it. Personally I find pistol grip and/or collapsing stocks on shotguns to be less than ideal.

But aside from that I think a huge improvement to the 870 comes in the form of a "big dome" safety, like the one Vang Comp makes:
https://vangcomp.com/shop/vcs-remington ... ad-safety/
This is a great piece whether running a pistol grip stock or rifle stock.

Past that, the gun doesn't "need" anything except to be fed ammo. Check out the buckshot options from Federal that sport the "Flight control wad" , and same goes for Hornady. Then pattern test that thing and see what your results are.

Down the road you may look at things like Surefire integrated light forends, or Magpul MOE forends with rail attachments if you plan to add a light. If you want to get in to slings there's that consideration as well, but honestly I'd go out and put at least a few hundred rounds through it and then decide what you want.

Other_barry
New Shotgunner

Post by Other_barry » Fri May 12, 2017 10:55 pm

BlackWhiteGrey wrote:Awesome, looks like a Remington 870 Express Synthetic tactical 7-round, # 25077

Well, since you already ordered the Knoxx stock you might as well try it. Personally I find pistol grip and/or collapsing stocks on shotguns to be less than ideal.

But aside from that I think a huge improvement to the 870 comes in the form of a "big dome" safety, like the one Vang Comp makes:
https://vangcomp.com/shop/vcs-remington ... ad-safety/
This is a great piece whether running a pistol grip stock or rifle stock.

Past that, the gun doesn't "need" anything except to be fed ammo. Check out the buckshot options from Federal that sport the "Flight control wad" , and same goes for Hornady. Then pattern test that thing and see what your results are.

Down the road you may look at things like Surefire integrated light forends, or Magpul MOE forends with rail attachments if you plan to add a light. If you want to get in to slings there's that consideration as well, but honestly I'd go out and put at least a few hundred rounds through it and then decide what you want.

Great feedback! That is the exact model, I'll look into that vang comp safety right now!

Thanks sir

dtjacob
Shotgunner

Post by dtjacob » Sun May 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Don't think the Vang Comp safety will work, I think the Wilson Combat is the only one that will work with the Knoxx stock.....

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

BlackWhiteGrey
Shotgunner

Post by BlackWhiteGrey » Sun May 14, 2017 1:31 pm

dtjacob wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 1:05 pm
Don't think the Vang Comp safety will work, I think the Wilson Combat is the only one that will work with the Knoxx stock.....

how so?

dtjacob
Shotgunner

Post by dtjacob » Sun May 14, 2017 3:10 pm

If it is the recoil reducing stock, the stock will hit the safety as it compresses......

Other_barry
New Shotgunner

Post by Other_barry » Sun May 14, 2017 3:14 pm

dtjacob wrote:If it is the recoil reducing stock, the stock will hit the safety as it compresses......

I could be wrong, but I believe it's just the butt pad that offers the reduction in recoil

dtjacob
Shotgunner

Post by dtjacob » Sun May 14, 2017 3:32 pm

I have the Knoxx Specopps Gen II recoil reducing stock & it will hit a large head safety when the shotgun is fired......I know because I did it.