Boresnake on a marine magnum

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi. Just purchased my first shotgun. A Marine Magnum. Was looking into getting a boresnake to make it easier to clean out the barrel instead of a long red and some patches. Any thoughts on this? Will the metal bristles in the snake be bad for the nickel plating?

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Post by TexasArmor84 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:37 am

It will be fine the brass bristles on the snake are softer than you think and yes you made a good purchase here's mineImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Re: Boresnake on a marine magnum

Post by Bourget117 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the 870p marine magnum like yours instead of the express version. I wasn't aware of the differences and for a few dollars more I would have gotten better upgrades and quality. For the price I paid, mine should not have a mim extractor and a polymer trigger group. And especially it should not have roughness inside the receiver or in the barrel chamber. I guess I should have done more homework first. I just assumed for that kind of. Only I was gonna get wing master quality with a nickel finish.

sodapopsixtysix
Shotgunner

Post by sodapopsixtysix » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:09 am

Bourget117 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am
If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the 870p marine magnum like yours instead of the express version. I wasn't aware of the differences and for a few dollars more I would have gotten better upgrades and quality. For the price I paid, mine should not have a mim extractor and a polymer trigger group. And especially it should not have roughness inside the receiver or in the barrel chamber. I guess I should have done more homework first. I just assumed for that kind of. Only I was gonna get wing master quality with a nickel finish.
I understand that the 870 Marine Magnum (25012) may be based on an Express frame but I think concerns about fit and finish are most likely due to Remington's approach to quality and attention to detail these days. As I just acquired a non-police version of the Marine Magnum I am curious to know what the upgrades are in the police version. I've read on other forums that the extractor and the trigger plate are the same as the current Police version. Can anyone confirm this?

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:37 am

sodapopsixtysix wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:09 am
Bourget117 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am
I understand that the 870 Marine Magnum (25012) may be based on an Express frame but I think concerns about fit and finish are most likely due to Remington's approach to quality and attention to detail these days. As I just acquired a non-police version of the Marine Magnum I am curious to know what the upgrades are in the police version. I've read on other forums that the extractor and the trigger plate are the same as the current Police version. Can anyone confirm this?
I have heard both that police and non police have same mim and plastic triggers as well as that one has non mim and aluminum and the other has mim and plastic trigger group.
I want to replace the mim extractor on my standard marine mag with a non mim nickel plated one if I can find one. Then maybe later in locating a marine trigger group. I want the replacement trigger group to have all the nickel marine plated components.