2 3/4" Barrel with 3" Receiver?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
minalec

2 3/4" Barrel with 3" Receiver?

Post by minalec » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:37 am

Hi guys. I've seen the opposite asked, but not this. I have a Wingmaster Magnum shotgun that can shoot 3" shells. I want to find a shorter barrel for it. If I were to buy a barrel that was from a receiver that only shot 2 3/4" shells, would it still work?

It seems from what I've read online is that, in order to convert a 2 3/4" receiver to do 3" shells, the ejector must be replaced (which I believe is within the receiver) - if that's the case, then the barrel doesn't play a part, right?

Just want to make sure I don't buy a 2 3/4" barrel only to be out of luck, or worse, do something dangerous.

Thanks everyone.

-Al

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 2 3/4" Barrel with 3" Receiver?

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:58 am

A 2 3/4"-chambered barrel is perfectly compatible with a magnum receiver. All standard 12ga 870 barrels and receivers are interchangeable. You just shouldn't fire any shells longer than 2 3/4", since that's the chamber you're working with.