Sling options for HD use

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
PeaceOfficer
Experienced Shotgunner

Sling options for HD use

Post by PeaceOfficer » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi folks,

I'd like to add a sling to my 870 and would like to understand which are the best options to consider for home defence use.

I don't have any prior knowledge or bias on this subject so I'm really keen to learn from folks who have been down this road and have any advice to offer.

Thanks

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Sling options for HD use

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:57 am

I would reccomend not using a sling on a HD shotgun. A shotgun is best used as "artillery" from a fixed defensive position, and if you are moving around with it at the ready (instead of using a handgun, which is a better choice for that anyway), all a sling is going to do is become a snag or grab risk.

I could see keeping a sling handy if you have extended property, and you may need to go investigate something out there. But in that case, I would go with QD attachments, and keep the sling off the gun until it's needed.

PeaceOfficer
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by PeaceOfficer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:16 am

Thanks for the reply, Synchronizor. I hadn't thought about it like that. Definitely a valid point.

From memory I do recall it having the QD mounts already. Will confirm when I get around to collecting it.

Alpha Wolf
Shotgunner

Post by Alpha Wolf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:12 pm

I have an SOE 1 / 2 Point Sling, that I can run either as a single point or a 2 point sling. It can use either HK hooks or QD points.

Kind of depends on what I doing with the shotgun as to whether or not I use my sling on it.

Slings are a great way to keep someone from snatching your gun away from you, in addition to holding it to you when the gun is not in use.
870 Express Tactical Magpul Black
M1 Garand
M1A Socom 16
Yugo SKS
Swiss K31
GP100
S&W Model 60
S&W Model 18
XD 40 4"
Kimber 1911 Team Match II
Assorted 22 cal rifles.

PeaceOfficer
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by PeaceOfficer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:41 am

Thanks for the input. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Malpaso
Shotgunner

Post by Malpaso » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:50 pm

A sling is a holster for your long gun. I have one on my truck gun as well as my HD gun (both 870s). Weapon retention is critical. You do not want to give yours up when transitioning to your secondary weapon, or going hand to hand. I use the VCAS on all my long guns, so I have the same method of use in all situations. Not using a sling because you are worried about it causing a problem is not a good reason. You need to train utilizing the sling, just as you need to train utilizing your weapon. There are a number of good videos on line on how to deploy the VCAS, switching to support side, etc. Get comfortable deploying it "dry", then practice with it hot on the range.

BigMike67

Post by BigMike67 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:47 am

i'm going to double what Malpaso said above me here^

i would suggest looking at Thunder Ranch defensive shotgun video, excellent tool i have a few of Clint's video's, he is a wealth of common sense knowledge!

PeaceOfficer
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: RE: Re: Sling options for HD use

Post by PeaceOfficer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:20 am

BigMike67 wrote:i'm going to double what Malpaso said above me here^

i would suggest looking at Thunder Ranch defensive shotgun video, excellent tool i have a few of Clint's video's, he is a wealth of common sense knowledge!
Cool. I will take a look at those. Thanks for the pointer

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:52 pm

A sling is a great addition to a combat or HD shotgun IF you practice with its use and deployment. I run a MAGPUL single point/two point sling on my HD shottie. It is mandatory if you need to sling your SG to enable free use of both hands. I've been trained to sling my SG from single to two point for different maneuvers. Practice and thought are the key to maneuvering and choosing the right configuration as the situation evolves. The last thing that you want is to lose control of your weapon.
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

Alpha Wolf
Shotgunner

Post by Alpha Wolf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 pm

PeaceOfficer wrote:Thanks for the input. Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Here it is configured for a single point application.

870 Express Tactical Magpul Black
M1 Garand
M1A Socom 16
Yugo SKS
Swiss K31
GP100
S&W Model 60
S&W Model 18
XD 40 4"
Kimber 1911 Team Match II
Assorted 22 cal rifles.